What version of AFLT should I be using?

gadgets

Resource contributor
Development Release 2.0.04. But I'm not sure you can be successful.

As explained in the introduction to the user manual, P3Dv2 moved away from certain legacy technologies used by AFLT. Consequently, I was forced to develop a version of AFLT that uses simobjects. But, after doing so (2.0.04), during testing I discovered that Pv2 fails to display the models against a background of runways, taxiways and aprons. The lights, themselves seem to operate as intended though, as mentioned elsewhere in this forum (and in several other forums) the range of P3D effect-based lights is pitifully short.

I do not own Pv3, so I don't know whether LM has fixed these bugs. If you want to give it a try, I suggest you create and place a few runway or taxiway lights and see if Pv3 provides satisfactory operation. I'd appreciate knowing the result.

Don

Yes, I see what you are saying about the visibility of the light effects in P3Dv3. I have a scenery with AFLT effects based lights that are pitifully weak in P3Dv3 and disappear completely at 1/2 mile.

I noticed that 29Palms KTNP scenery has this problem in P3Dv3 but Orbx KMRY does not. Any thoughts about how Orbx might be doing it?

gadgets

Resource contributor
I've just taken a look at the ORBX ground lights .mdl. It uses simple effects. BUT, it uses Type 25 effects which have the well-known problem of not re-initializing when you leave an area and come back. AFLT uses Type 19 - the recommended type for lights - which do not exhibit the go away/come back issue. Otherwise, the ORBX effect definition is not materially different from AFLTs. Perhaps this is a necessary trade-off for light-effects in P3D.

I'll do some experimentation and report back. But, I'm rather busy at the moment, so it may be a while.

Don