FSX What's wrong with this plane?

Hello guys, I was doing a photoscene in gmax for FSX using the FS2004 gamepack, following this tutorial

http://www.simpilotnet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=206&Itemid=32

But the plane isn't in the right position, let's say it's flipped and splitted in 2 polygons

Here the plane in gmax

And now the plane in FSX

I made the textures using .PSD then converted to .DDS using imagetool, the plane was Editable Poly (now I switched to Editable Mesh to see what happens and nothing)

Can somebody explain me what's wrong and how to fix it, please?

Last edited:
given that the image is rotated vertically, i would first check that both the diffuse and the alpha textures are flipped vertically before converting to .DDS, but i guess you already checked that? :p

yes, like repainting airplanes, when converting from Bmp to dds, this must be flipped verticaly before save, or you will get a psicodelic airplane,

Hello, this is my first time handling DDS textures, can somebody explain me how can I flip the texture, I mean, can flip the texture from Gmax or from Photoshop (I used this program for create the textures before converting them to DDS)??

Thank you :D

I made the textures using .PSD then converted to .DDS using imagetool, the plane was Editable Poly (now I switched to Editable Mesh to see what happens and nothing)

Can somebody explain me what's wrong and how to fix it, please?
Imagetool will take care of flipping the image automatically when converting to .DDS format. In GMAX I would think you can rotate when mapping in the UVW Editor (at least I can in 3ds Max).

Regards, Mike Mann

the photoshop approach:

from photoshop go to image--->image rotation--->flip canvas vertically and then save as .BMP

then do the same for your alpha texture

i then use DXTBMP to open the diffuse .BMP , then import alpha channel (use your alpha .BMP) and then save as DXT5.DDS texture.

check quickly using imagetool that your final texture and alpha are the right way up..:D

hek293, you saved me, thank you so much, and thank you very much mmann :cool:

When tested the plane I found a rare issue, this part of the plane was disappearing while I was applying the zoom and when zoom out that part become visible again

Last edited:
If you do get the NVIDIA plug-in for Photoshop, remember that you will have to flip the image vertical in Photoshop beforehand, unlike Imagetool which will perform this task for you.

Regards, Mike Mann

Hello, I already fixed the previous problem, I had to "re-flat" the terrain, and I got more resolution for the textures, all I had to do is to make the textures and save it in .psd format, and from imagetool save it as a .dds texture ;)

About the DDS plug-in for Photoshop, I'll test it, thanks SkippyBing and Mike :cool:

glad you sorted it out. the uneven terrain surface is a very common problem with ground polys, make sure the terrain underneath is flat. also, make sure that your planes are split up every 100meters or so to account for earth curvation in FSX.