• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA When to use a controller or effect .fx and where use it ?

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Hi,

I am building a airport scenery (CYMX - Mirabel) and I will use a library of ramp lights.

Currently my library consists of 3 Gmax objects. Each object has a simple light effect attached to it : one with the condition (DAY=0; NIGHT=1) and another with (DUSK=1;DAWN=1). Each light is placed via Instant scenery and 160 light are used.
FPS are not impacted (40 ~60 FPS day and night usage). My problem is that theses lights flicker as you walk away from the airport or when you approach it (> 5 ~ 6 kms)

Could the use of a controller effect with a distance condition be the solution to my problem ? Where I should use this controller: on one object or on each object ?

After reading through the SDK help about the effects, I still could not find an answer to this question: I understand what an effect and a controller are and theirs functions but I don't see how in my particular case how to use an effect or rather a controller and where they should be placed.

Thanks for yours replies and Good Christmas hollydays :santahat:

Attachments

• 2018-12-28_115846.jpg
    2018-12-28_115846.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 191
Country
us-illinois
Hello:

One must first be utilizing the appropriate Effect "TYPE Number" parameter value to allow visibility for a flight spawned at the local airport in question, as well as to allow visibility upon arrival at that airport after a departure from a remote airport.

Having initially met that criteria, one could utilize a "Controller" Effect *.Fx file, but that would also require a 'paired' separate "Basic" Effect *.Fx file).

Alternatively, one could use a "hybrid" Effect *.Fx file (which contains coding for both the Controller and Basic Effect functions ...as seen in the interesting worked example posted by Richard Ludowise in this thread):

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19185&highlight=effect

FYI: The version of FS for which one is developing ( ex: FSX vs. P3D) ...may also determine whether- and how- Effect *.Fx files may be successfully implemented with satisfactory visibility at a distance.

Don Grovestine has done a rather comprehensive review of methods for airfield lighting (with particular attention to issues of light visibility at a distance), and has posted info on the feasibility of implementing Effects versus other methods as a function of the FS version one is developing for ...in this forum:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/airfield-lights-toolbox.142/

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:

Lagaffe

Resource contributor
Country
france
Thanks for your answer, Gary.
I will apply theses advices.
Bye, :santahat: