When you create a Flatten without paying attention to surrounding altitude

LOLOLOL.... Yep.. This happened to me when I tried bringing my jungle airports over to FSX from FS2004 for the Kodiak missions, lololol... Totally different altitudes. One jungle strip was up high in the sky, like 800 feet. Another was down in a hole.

Mowing the grass on the sides of that 'Ancient Aliens' pyramid airport is going to be challenging....

Hahaha i seriously thought about Calvi Airport in Corsica, maybe some of you already experimented it but the slope isn’t really rude, flattening it created the exact same effect in FSX :D

n4gix

Resource contributor
Yikes! That is a real airport... apparently Columbia has at least two similarly 'raised up' airport runways, as the next video up was yet another one. :rotfl:

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
If you decide to do this airport, you need to mention the first line of the manual that this is the way it is in real life. I have been asked a thousand times that my VTSP airport has a mistake. The ILS is not align with the runway.

***NO! It is not align***

It is 3 degrees offset to the right in the real airport. Not everyone flys in their computer with charts.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
You wonder why they actually designed and build it like that, must be quite some work :)

n4gix

Resource contributor
Imagine all of the rock and dirt they had to move! I suppose that the valley was not very level to begin with. That is a runway to you do not want to overrun!

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
The real world can be funny sometimes. It contains things that we would consider a bug when we would put it in our scenery. Another favorite of my is the photo below I once found. If we would ever put a trees on the road in our scenery everybody would complain it is wrong. But he, it seems it can happen in real life as well :)

1557460322099.png

Christian Bahr

Resource contributor
The real world can be funny sometimes. It contains things that we would consider a bug when we would put it in our scenery. Another favorite of my is the photo below I once found. If we would ever put a trees on the road in our scenery everybody would complain it is wrong. But he, it seems it can happen in real life as well :)

View attachment 49500
That reminds us a little of a song from "Madness" from the 80s: Our Tree(House) in the middle of the road :rotfl:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
In Google Earth, it appears they might have leveled a ridgetop to make the airport.
Reminds me of the tricks I had to do years ago in SimCity to make an airport. But you quickly learned that is not an efficient way to move mountains :)

Heretic

Resource contributor
The airport logic in Sim City 2000 was awful. If you didn't assign enough land to the airport, you wouldn't even get a runway.