• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Where should "error notices" be put?

Country
us-vermont
It's clear that some FSXA build(s) have a defective FSXAnimation.ms script. A Google search as well as a search here on FSDeveloper makes it clear that developers with a correct script have tried unsuccessfully to help others with a defective script. There is a very simple edit to fix this for the unfortunate sub-group who have this defective program. I looked at the Modelling wiki but someone else may have a better idea as to how to prevent some beginning developers from many hours of wasted time. Our name is legion. I am sure there are other pitfalls out there as well.
Any suggestions?

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
What specifically is wrong with the "defective" script? I've checked all nine versions I have here with ExamDiff and have noted the only differences between them is in lines 90 and 91, where the exact path to the ..\bin folder where modeldef.xml is declared.

From P3D v2.4 SDK:
Code:
                local FSSDKDir = maxUtils.getRegKey "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" "SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2 SDK" "SetupPath"
                filePath = FSSDKDir + "Modeling SDK\\bin\\"

From FSX/Acceleration SDK:
Code:
                 local FSSDKDir = maxUtils.getRegKey "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\microsoft games\Flight Simulator X SDK" "SetupPath"
                 filePath = FSSDKDir + "SDK\\Environment Kit\\Modeling SDK\\bin\\"

Country
us-vermont
for ngix.jpg
myfix.jpg

The "defective" one I bought displays as the LHS image I posted. The 3 top Windows dimensions are obviously wrong. 14 14 9 has to shorten to 11 11 5 in order for the Window and the Create Button to be separate. My corrected one displays as the RHS image and now the Create button works.

You got lucky with your purchases. Anyone who bought the FSXA version I did got screwed.

You can't put a button on top of a Display Window. They didn't even check it properly.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
It's clear that some FSXA build(s) have a defective FSXAnimation.ms script. A Google search as well as a search here on FSDeveloper makes it clear that developers with a correct script have tried unsuccessfully to help others with a defective script. There is a very simple edit to fix this for the unfortunate sub-group who have this defective program. I looked at the Modelling wiki but someone else may have a better idea as to how to prevent some beginning developers from many hours of wasted time. Our name is legion. I am sure there are other pitfalls out there as well.
Any suggestions?
I think some of us are confused by your posts. Perhaps I could break down your posts to demonstrate the uncertainty.
It's clear that some FSXA build(s) have a defective FSXAnimation.ms script. A Google search as well as a search here on FSDeveloper makes it clear that developers with a correct script have tried unsuccessfully to help others with a defective script.
I have not run a Google search, nor have I run a search for those terms at FSDeveloper. It seems like you have run the search and that it would be prudent to substantiate that assertion with a few example links.
The "defective" one I bought displays as the LHS image I posted.
I am not familiar with the term LHS. It appears you are comparing it to RHS which might mean left and right but the images are stacked one above the other.
My corrected one displays as the RHS image and now the Create button works.
How did you go about correcting one?
It appears the images show an animation dialog window in 3ds Max or perhaps Gmax. I create animations for FSX and P3D, but I use FSDS which has a completely different window arrangement. It also looks like you have two different flight sim animation tags loaded in the two windows, the upper one contains the tag "FastMover" and appears to be for FSX or possibly FSXA. although I don't think Acceleration had new animation tags. The lower window appears to be loaded with FS2004 tags.

Country
us-vermont
LHS and RHS is shorthand for Left Hand Side and Right Hand Side.

On my 27 inch monitor at 1920 x 1080 the images above are on the LHS and RHS not stacked one on top of the other.

You need to expand your Forum window till it fills the whole width of the screen. Easier to read and the images will then be LHS and RHS..

If you are not a GMAX guy then just look at the construction error of the GUI Dialog Box on the LHS and the RHS. The LHS is bad and the RHS is....wait for it..... good.

The RED lettering on the LHS "Bad Create Button" points to a Create button lying on top of a Window. That is the problem. Ignore the other details.

I corrected it by editing the FSXAnimation.ms script in Notepad. FSXAnimation.ms spells out, among other things, the size and placement of Windows and Buttons.

"I don't think Acceleration had new animation tags".

Yes it does, you can refer to the FSXA SDK for the aircraft carrier animations. but that's irrelevant to this thread on the construction error of the GUI Dialog Box..

Many Gmax users are familiar with this problem and they don't require "substantiation" of the problem. e.g. TGibson, Tejal Bernardo, LennartH, Bambi_007.........

I suggest you read the entire thread in the Gmax Forum.

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't really want to bone up on a 3d platform I don't use. You asked us to try to help find an idea as to how to prevent some beginning developers from many hours of wasted time. You see the conundrum don't you, I start to spend hours to save hours...I totally missed the part how it specifically affected people on a Gmax thread, or someplace in Google or wherever. Anyway I'm sure Tom or Tejal has some great ideas, good luck with it.

Country
spain
The wiki is good place to publish these things. people are having problems with Gmax and win8/10. don't know if they were solved but if so would be interesting to publish the solutions
I remember how an article about the SDK Opt (object placement tool) and his plenty of bugs tool was pubished. I saw this as good idea to publish his workaround, tips and tricks.
don't think it be a script problem John C but a resolution problem but you solved this with a Smart solution. people having to change the resolution back again is disgusting. so will be interesting to see this published in the wiki or somewhere.

Last edited:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I suppose I should have been more explicit. What precisely did you change to make your dialog work properly? Here are the exact script lines that define the "Create" and "Delete" buttons, including their precise x,y screen coordinates, and width/height in pixels:
Code:
button createAnim "Create" pos:[370,165] width:90 height:20 toolTip:"Creates a new animation for the selected part without keyframe offsets."
button deleteAnim "Delete" pos:[480,165] width:90 height:20
So, what did you change?

Country
us-vermont
Hi Bill...you're getting warmer but I changed the Window Heights....

listbox animGroup "Groups" pos:[5,8] width:150 height:14 --------------------> 11

listbox animList "Animation List" pos:[160,8] width:200 height:14-------------> 11
listbox objectAnimList "Object Anims" pos:[370,45] width:200 height:7-------> 5 THIS WAS THE REALLY TROUBLESOME ONE.

I'm FULLY AWARE THAT FURTHER WORK COULD BE DONE TO MAINTAIN THE OLD WINDOW HEIGHTS WHOSE UNITS ARE IN TEXT LINES.

Right now though I need a little time away from this.......

Here is the original defective file in case you want it but I had to save it as a txt file in order to upload...hope it remains intact.

Attachments

• FSXAnimationarch.txt
    37.5 KB · Views: 317

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
John, the "defective" file you sent is identical to the ones in every version of the SDK I have (FSX, FSX+A, FSX:SE, P3D v1,v2 and v3. I can only conclude that since you had to reduce the heights of three boxes, that the problem lies with your monitor's resolution or something else not quite right system wise.

In any event I'm happy that you've found a resolution that works for you, but I'm not all that sanguine about it being a wide-spread issue.

Country
us-vermont
Hi Bill....you are correct. I got a zipped FSXANimation script from Bambi_007 which displays correctly for her but displays with the Create button sitting on the Window in my system.

But I am not alone with this problem.

The very painful workaround that has been suggested on some boards is to temporarily seriously reduce ones screen resolution in order to grab the very small bottom left hand corner of the Create button that does not cover the window.

I have no idea what percentage of developers have this complaint, and it may not be "widespread", but it certainly not just me.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?81620-Animation-amp-Key-Frames-FSX-P3D/page2
http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34072&p=266907
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/export-an-animation.133797/

I have been burned often enough to not wander off the reservation so I am baffled.

I have dozens of GUI dialog boxes displaying correctly for all kinds of stuff on my systems, but just this one goes haywire?

I'm done. Time to move on.

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Hi,

I found your problem. If you go to the Windows setting Control Panel/Display and find the box that adjust the text size ("Make it easier to read what's on your screen") you will find that it is set to Medium, instead of Small (default). This causes the display problem, if set to Small this dialog box displays normally. This will also cause similar problems in ADE and other programs.

Hope this helps,

Country
us-vermont
I tried it and you nailed it. Next only to Tom Brady of the New England Patriots you are officially my favorite Tom. But I'm going back to Medium for everything else because I am an old guy, and I can hardly see what I'm typing...and it made a complete mess of my desktop icons. Thanks to all for listening and contributing.

Last edited:

tgibson

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Glad to help. I tried Medium for a while and it caused too many problems. So I decreased the screen resolution instead to make the text larger. Instead of 1920 x 1280 I use 1600 x 900.

And yes, your desktop layout is saved separately for each screen resolution and text size. So each time you change it you have to rearrange your desktop again...

Country
us-vermont
It's much faster for me to modify the script before using it than to reshuffle my icons back to where I want them.

I am trying to convince my wife that a 65 inch monitor would be a real upgrade.

Looked at your site. Nice!