• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Why Are There Airports w/o Parking in FSX?

Yes, I am admittedly behind the learning curve on this, but I just discovered a stock airport that doesn't have a single parking spot. I'm not talking about a cornfield airport, but a pretty large military base. I didn't know those existed in FSX.

No wonder I couldn't get my AI flight plans to work there. :eek:

For those who care it's KFFO.

There's a lot of those Bob..........
could be they never got finished because of a deadline for public release,
just a guess tho......

Ray

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
There's a lot of those Bob..........
could be they never got finished because of a deadline for public release,
just a guess tho......

Ray

I think some decisions were made as to which airports to provide parking for and which not. If there is no AI traffic by default then no parking I suspect. With way over 20,000 airports in FSX it would be a mammoth task to detail all of them. That is why we 'enhance' airports with tools like ADE :)

I found a stock airport tonight that had ample parking (with loads of room to add), but all runways were closed :eek: - KENV Wendover Airport.

I found a stock airport tonight that had ample parking (with loads of room to add), but all runways were closed :eek: - KENV Wendover Airport.

Are you sure?

2 out of the 4 are closed which FSX does with many airports. 2 of the stock runways are fully open.

A typical real world active Military Airport in FSX for the USA. This airport also has ILS, VOR, NDB and proper approach code but only one place to park when you land. The fuel pump unless you fly helicopters.

Some Military airports like the one below do have TDBB FP's and parking but are GA type parking only and not coded as Military parking since FSX does not have Miltary AI planes on FP's.

Last edited:
Are you sure?

2 out of the 4 are closed which FSX does with many airports. 2 of the stock runways are fully open.

I couldn't get any Xtra Airways AI to show up at KENV, even a static, and when I opened it up in ADE all runways (primary/sec) were marked as closed. I'm using FSX/Acceleration and I had never previously touched that field. You're saying that your version of KENV had two open runways?

Jim,

I'm surprised that they didn't change some of the military airports with Acceleration because of the F/A-18A.

When acceleration added the enhanced Edwards, it STILL had
absolutely no parking....go figure.

I created a new file with ADE so that my AI, as well as
my flown aircraft could come and go from KEDW.

Recently I have been "reactivating" several Russian
military fields, and in some cases having to actually add them,
to enable my TU-95's and other Russian military aircraft
to fly my virtual skies.

With excellent tools such as ADE, it really doesn't
take long to add parking at those airports with
no existing or inadequate parking.

I do it, field by field, as I fly about. If a destination
doesn't have the required parking for my aircraft I add it prior to flight.

Paul

The default KENV has runways 08/26 and 12/30 open for take off and landing. (including acceleration)

Weird, because mine were closed in the runway list of ADE and I had never heard of that airport until last night and I have no addon file for it.

I can't find any remarks in the runway list for closed runways. The "false" is to Crosswind.

I have SP2 and two of the four runways are open.

Regards
Horst

Weird, because mine were closed in the runway list of ADE and I had never heard of that airport until last night and I have no addon file for it.

are you looking at "Pattern" in the properties window this will tell you, not the primary or secondary,
as far as I'm aware FSX will ignore the primary and secondary if they are set in ADE

Ray

are you looking at "Pattern" in the properties window this will tell you, not the primary or secondary,
as far as I'm aware FSX will ignore the primary and secondary if they are set in ADE

Ray

I was looking at the properties window for each runway, then looking at the primary/secondary sections and those were marked closed for every runway. Good to learn that FSX will ignore these.

Also, I am not saying that this was the reason why a static AC never appeared - just the impetus for investigating the cause. I later tried a different AC which appeared (after I opened them up in ADE), so it could be that the texture was improperly assigned to the wrong model, but I would think I would see at least a white plane (ah, the nuances of installing traffic :D).

Thanks for the replies guys.

Another reason may be that some airports aren't sufficiently organised to identify actual parking spots, and I do include some with regular air services in that. If there are no regular, designated parking spots, it would be difficult for MS to actually model parking spots there with any copnfidence of accuracy.

I was looking at the properties window for each runway, then looking at the primary/secondary sections and those were marked closed for every runway. Good to learn that FSX will ignore these.

irocx

In the next version of ADE those checkmarks and windows in the primary/secondary tabs have been removed.

You are not the first to see those checkmarks and report the runway says closed. I believe it was Ray that pointed the error out in the beta group several months ago.

In the future all runways that are closed are listed in the pattern tab only. Sorry if ADE misled you in any way.