Win10 upgrade nightmare

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
so it happened. I remember to read the horror stories about Win10 upgrade damaging the system, P3D installations etc. while mine went always smoothly. Until last Friday. Most of the weekend lost on re-configuring my dev PC, it changed even some environmental variables with paths values. Some file association broken. Icon lost ... plus I had 2 VS installation, VS2010 on D: drive and VS2015 on C: drive plus multiple Win SDK (win7, 8, 10). All was screwed and the only way to resolve that was creating symlinks. Nightmare !

When I finally fixed all that and launched P3D it turned out that in Full screen mode I had serious screen stuttering while it was ok in the windows mode. FPS counter was showing the same value for both modes, however the stuttering were only when in Full Screen. Gosh, so another few hours of research and frustration. Finally I found this (method one) and it worked for me , maybe someone will find it useful. I have never seen that W10 "Gaming Bar" before:

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/fix-low-fps-after-windows-10-creators-update.html

M.

=rk=

Resource contributor
W10 systematically attempted to eradicate all my personal software on two seperate occasions and only data mining software retained what I'd allowed Microsoft access to since about 2005 or so.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
It works fine for me: resistance is futile, you shall be assimilated. :laughing:

Last edited:

DragonflightDesign

Resource contributor
Don't even go there. It just tried to crap on both FSX and P3D when I installed a new motherboard and was forced to 'upgrade' to Windows 10 because the new m/b didn't support Windows 7. The Win 7 drivers were on the AsusTEK website but they just don't work. R/L work has forced me to use this virus since it was in beta - I didn't like it then and nothing has changed since.

Have you tried installing any UltimateVFR scenery? It take almost one minute (one minute!!!!!) before it decides that it will run the installer after all and there are ten - thirty installers in each package.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
It’s fair to say your mileage may vary. Some have had unpleasant experiences with W10, others haven’t. I’ve had a largely pleasant experience and got all my old software to run so far. I know this doesn’t help you much, but I’m out of me depth and sinking where your problems are concerned.

Last edited:

=rk=

Resource contributor
Wow. It took over a year for me to realize the whole thing probably was intentional, revenge and all I can say is, "well played, Microsoft, well played." However the next move is mine and despite the not so subtle intimidation tactics I WILL be getting an iPhone again.

Wow. It took over a year for me to realize the whole thing probably was intentional, revenge and all I can say is, "well played, Microsoft, well played." However the next move is mine and despite the not so subtle intimidation tactics I WILL be getting an iPhone again.
So instead of microsoft controlling you have decided that Apple will control you instead. Make sure they don't degrade you iphone forcing you to buy their next product! And make sure all the information on your phone is fake news to ensure they don't find out the truth about you.

=rk=

Resource contributor
I am a battleground, an inspiration, bragging rights. I chose the time and place for confrontations, because after all, if I decide not to purchase, the war is over. So they HAVE to keep fighting me, or each other, for my business. To do less violates the first thermodynamic law of Capitalism and portents the ism with the U in it. The trick for survival as consumers is that you need to diversify. If you have the Apple watch, Macbook Pro and stream iTunes, then the war is over for you, you've capitulated your real estate in favor of "the peace" of being taxed by the feudal baron Apple. As with most things human, the pack settles and the fringe keeps prices competitive, so it goes.

And yes my phone is freaking ridiculous right now. This is no exaggeration: it never has more than one bar, even standing downtown, or under a cell tower. Well, I know the battery is toast because it will die after a single conversation, it will die if it get's too cold (it does get pretty cold around here); but one bar, I'm trying to not blame Apple and imagine how my phone doesn't have enough energy to receive the energy from pinging a tower, beyond that single bar... Using Google maps is useless, this might be because I don't have a Google phone, but the display stays blurry and it doesn't focus in until I've driven miles beyond the intersection...

Recently I decided to change tactics and started searching for a service station, haven't found one yet. I keep coming across gas stations, where you can't put air in your tires or buy maps.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Linux on my PCs, Windows on my phone(s). And everybody thinks that being part of the 1% has something to do with money...

I am a battleground, an inspiration, bragging rights. I chose the time and place for confrontations, because after all, if I decide not to purchase, the war is over. So they HAVE to keep fighting me, or each other, for my business. To do less violates the first thermodynamic law of Capitalism and portents the ism with the U in it. The trick for survival as consumers is that you need to diversify. If you have the Apple watch, Macbook Pro and stream iTunes, then the war is over for you, you've capitulated your real estate in favor of "the peace" of being taxed by the feudal baron Apple. As with most things human, the pack settles and the fringe keeps prices competitive, so it goes.

And yes my phone is freaking ridiculous right now. This is no exaggeration: it never has more than one bar, even standing downtown, or under a cell tower. Well, I know the battery is toast because it will die after a single conversation, it will die if it get's too cold (it does get pretty cold around here); but one bar, I'm trying to not blame Apple and imagine how my phone doesn't have enough energy to receive the energy from pinging a tower, beyond that single bar... Using Google maps is useless, this might be because I don't have a Google phone, but the display stays blurry and it doesn't focus in until I've driven miles beyond the intersection...

Recently I decided to change tactics and started searching for a service station, haven't found one yet. I keep coming across gas stations, where you can't put air in your tires or buy maps.
The moral in this story is "Why didn't you buy android? Although Google this, Google that is pressed on you and they assume youcan't do without it, one can totally avoid having to use Google in any shape or form. Oh and to live a relatively free life don't put it all onto your mobile!! I don't even use the appstore. I use the one provided by the phone manufacturer instead.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
To those who still abhor the very idea of moving to Windows 10, whatever your reasons, remember this date: January 14th 2020. That's when security updates for Windows 7 end. This is why Windows 7 support is vanishing from hardware manufacturers: can you blame them?

Make your plans: you have (almost) 2 years remaining.

And if you're on Win8.1, full support for that ended one week ago (Jan 9th) so you now get security updates only until Jan 10th 2023.

I really like Win7. It has run beautifully. It makes no sense that the worlds biggest OS manufacturer/designer makes OS's worse and worse. What is going on with them??

My backup Win10 laptop updated. Took like 2 hours. Im like, am I downloading P3D? Is an update 10 gigs big? What in the world???

For now, all my sims and design programs are on W7.

Heretic

Resource contributor
I really like Win7. It has run beautifully. It makes no sense that the worlds biggest OS manufacturer/designer makes OS's worse and worse. What is going on with them??
Save for the compatibility issues with GMax and 3ds Max 9 and the occasional bug, Windows 10 is the best Windows so far.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Bjoern, I won't go that far in praising Win10. It is an absolute nightmare to get properly networked with the other computers in my network. Granting access permissions to a major folder and ticking the box to "apply to all sub-folders" doesn't work. I have to go to each individual sub-folder and grant the same access permissions. Repeat for all sub-sub-folders, etc.

Heretic

Resource contributor
Bjoern, I won't go that far in praising Win10. It is an absolute nightmare to get properly networked with the other computers in my network. Granting access permissions to a major folder and ticking the box to "apply to all sub-folders" doesn't work. I have to go to each individual sub-folder and grant the same access permissions. Repeat for all sub-sub-folders, etc.
Awful networking has been a Windows staple since the very beginning. If you get a Windows version that can be easily connected over networks, you might want to check your pulse or get piched.

As a single OS on a single PC, Win10 all good, as long as you know how to manipulate it. In profession, upgrading SW on ships, Win10 and 7 is a no-go. Seismic ships use Unix. Been there seen that, bullet proof.

Hi Folks,

From my experience - NEVER do the Win10 "upgrade" - do the fresh install - every machine I attempted the "upgrade" on - I eventually had to go back and do a clean Win10 install to rectify all the issues they had...

Just my two cents - your mileage may vary...

Regards,
Scott