P3D v4 Wind direction does not matter

Hey guys,

I please need help. I am stuck.

I am in the progress of editing the AFCAD for KDEN by Flightbeam. Far from finished, and I noticed something very strange with the runway usage.

Whatever wind I set, the active runway always stays the same.

Even if I open all runways at this airport for both takeoff and landing, it's the same. Crosswind runways are all set up correct, traffic uses both the 25 and 34s for takeoff. But even if I set the wind at full thrust from south, the active runways still is 34L and traffic uses this as well.

What am I missing here?

I can already see it in the sim opening screen. I select KDEN as airport, active runway, it shows 34L as active. Whatever wind I set in the menu, even before starting the flight, the active runway stays.

I will attach you a map of how I set up the runways (hopefully like in real life) but also a file with all runways open. Can you please test it, and help me identify whats wrong here? Maybe its just a small thing I am to blind to see.

Thank you

Attachments

tgibson

Resource contributor
Sometimes I will create an airport like this that just won't switch. I'm not sure why.

One thing to try is to make a different runway the last runway in the ADE listing (which becomes the primary runway, theoretically). Sometimes works, sometimes not.

when i did my version of KDEN I don't remember having issues with wind direction and the active runway,
here is the runway setup i used, this setup is using Jim's "Advanced Technique" version, all runways are open and active
try copying this set up and try that, also see the pic with the wind from the South where i get 16R
wind from the North gives me the same as you, 34L

Alright, so I did a little bit of further testing.

I set up my runways exacly like in the screenshot of Ray. Nothing changed.

I set the wind to a higher level, because KDEN is located pretty high, and finally a little change. I set it from south-eastern direction, and finally the AI aircraft were landing from the north. So far so good.

BUT: departing traffic still used 25, altough when wind comes from the southeast, its not good. Very very few aircraft in the far eastern gates taxied to 17L now. But only those, who were parked closer to 17L than 25.

That means: departing aircraft sill use the closest runway to their gate, no matter how the wind is set. I will post this in the P3D forum and see, if they can find a solution.

so if nothing has changed!! are you saying you are still getting 34L as you're active runway?
been years since i checked KDEN but using the "Advanced" technique should have turned runways 7/25 and 8/26 180 degrees which brings 7 and 8 into operation not 25 and 26
my setup works perfectly well with a wind speed of 8kts from the south
generally that's how gates work, takeoff is the nearest runway, of course if all runways are activated and open

Last edited:
so if nothing has changed!! are you saying you are still getting 34L as you're active runway?
been years since i checked KDEN but using the "Advanced" technique should have turned runways 7/25 and 8/26 180 degrees which brings 7 and 8 into operation not 25 and 26
my setup works perfectly well with a wind speed of 8kts from the south
generally that's how gates work, takeoff is the nearest runway, of course if all runways are activated and open
If I set up my winds at a higher altitude (surface winds up to 20.000ft for example) at active runway now changes according to the wind direction. Must be a DEN exclusive problem, because the airport is quite high, and default surface wind options, which are the ones you change when you change the ingame winds, are only up to 2.000ft.

Also, landing traffic now uses the correct runways for the set wind direction. But departures not. 99% of my departing traffic use rwy 25 (wrong at southeastern winds), and only very few 17L (correct, but farther away). Majority of departing traffic choose the closer runway 25, which has winds from behind when departing. This runway should normally not even considered active by the sim. At southeastern winds the two active departing runways should be 08 and 17L. 08 isnt used at all, maybe because its to far away.

I could even see departures on 17L and landings on 35R (same runway, different ends) at the same time, what is a complete no-go!

Thats why I mean the engine in P3D prefers a closer departing runway, without considering the winds.

I have no idea why we are now at 20,000ft LOL!!!
the question you asked in your first post is why are you always getting 34L
so i suggested you try my setup, and after trying this setup you still have not said if you are still getting 34L as the active runway with winds from the south..........
because that's not what i get :)

Last edited:
Surface winds up to 20.000ft. So its the wind going from 0ft to 20.000ft altitude.

I now get 08 as active runway, when selecting SE winds. Thats correct now. But departing AI does not calculate it.

I did another test, closing runway 07/25 completely. Now all traffic departs the correct runway 17L with SE winds.

Seems like I have to create two different AFCAD options for the different wind conditions. Its no big deal. But still P3D needs to be fixed, so that departing traffic does not departin in wind direction.

Seems like I have to create two different AFCAD options for the different wind conditions. Its no big deal. But still P3D needs to be fixed, so that departing traffic does not departin in wind direction.
well, that is another option if you think it will work,
many do that with EHAM because of the way the runways are configured
I don't have P3D so i wish you luck, always nice to have a challenge :)