• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Wind Turbine animation question

Country
us-illinois
Can I do an animated wind generator rotor via a gmax model only or do I need additional tools? Has anyone thought about varying the speed of rotation with wind speed?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
To show different speeds with different wind speeds, you need to use more than GMax. You could for example make different animations in GMax and then combine them with CAT into one new object.

I am still testing a way to make a windmill also rotate with the wind direction, while the rotors are animated (the RotateToAircraft command does not work with animations).

Country
us-illinois
Not knowing much about the coding end of this and learning the model making end (via GMax for now) When I first read about someone else up here wanting to rotate the head of a wind generator to the direction of the wind I envisioned a "nested" effect. Assemble the head and animated rotor as a single entity and then rotate that object with the wind. Although this does not sound possible now. But I'm thinking outside the box, cuz it's where I'm at! :laughing: :yikes:
Then I read this thread (http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=332) about variables and wondered if you could employ the 0C72 (wind ground velocity) and 0C74 (wind ground heading) variables to switch between models of the generator head facing different directions (maybe 4 or 6 major headings) while it's rotor was being animated. So getting back to my original question has anyone figured out how to rotate an object on it's X or Y axis via GMax? I've done the animate process and have a wicked wing generator going but the animation process doesn't survive into FS9.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Tachyon said:
Then I read this thread (http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=332) about variables and wondered if you could employ the 0C72 (wind ground velocity) and 0C74 (wind ground heading) variables to switch between models of the generator head facing different directions (maybe 4 or 6 major headings) while it's rotor was being animated.

Yes, that would also be an option, but will give you a lot of different MDL files that you all have to place at the same location. This is the approach Nick has tried for his animated flag before.

The idea I have will allow you to have one MDL object that does rotate with the wind, but I should still test the code tweaks.

Tachyon said:
So getting back to my original question has anyone figured out how to rotate an object on it's X or Y axis via GMax? I've done the animate process and have a wicked wing generator going but the animation process doesn't survive into FS9.

You can rotate along the X and Y axis, just as along the Z axis. Just make sure you select the correct axis in GMax when you are rotating the object. I have used this when I rotated the vanes of my windmill.

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
I have the flags working, animated, to 8 different directions. Using this method. But...

I never want to do that again!

Arno is working on this solutions, I do hope it works :)

Country
us-illinois
That'll be the cats meow for these wind generators. Now, how do I make the main rotor spin in FS9? I've got it spinning just fine in gMax but that dissapears somewhere between gMax and FS9.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Are you sure that you named your objects tick18_ when they are animated? Without this prefix the animation will not work in FS.

Country
us-illinois
ah nope ... didm't do that. Where was this documented? And is tick18_ a prefix, sufix, or the name in it's entirety?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
It's a prefix. Check the MakeMDL SDK and the GMax SDK for documentation.

Country
us-illinois
ok ... easy enough. Did that and I get a error "Part tick18_Rotor_52m contains a scale. Remove before exporting." Don't remember ever re-scaling this object. Or for that matter any of them. Whats that mean? (Besides the obvious of course, that "Part tick18_Rotor_52m contains a scale")

(I see that area in the MakeMDL now ... thanks)

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
If you resize the object in any way you get that message.

You can reset the scale on one of the pages, have not got it to hand.

Country
us-illinois
er ...hmmmm.... I do recall ..... ah .... "resizing" very early on in the intial design of the airfoil that would become the main rotor blades. Please enlighten me as to how to correct this. And is this why the "animation" still doesn't work in FS9 after having appended the tick18_ to the animated part?

nickw

Administrator
Staff member
Country
ireland
Select the object
Click on the Hierarchy Tab (one big box, three smaller)
In the reset section, click the Scale Button.

The reason your animation is not working is probably because of this.

Country
us-illinois
Badaboom, badabing. Thanks loads that did the trick. Now... what'd I do?? Why did that work? And Should I be resetting the size in the hierarchy tab everythime I've resized something? To quoat Jeff Spicoli "aawwwhhh knarley!" Wow .... that thing [my wind generator] is spooky looking up close and animated. I'm going to have to grab a frap of it for you guys.

Last edited:
I sure am glad you smart people are working on this. When it comes to Gmax and animations I am dumber than a bag full of hammers. I have an island that is just itching for some wind generators to power their houses. I knew I could not do it from scratch and after reading your posts I am glad I did not go down that road as I would still be looking for the place in which to insert the ignition key. Best of luck on your work. I sure would love to get my hands on a couple of rotating wind generators that point into the wind. I really don't care if they spin faster with the wind, just that they point into the wind. It is just too complicated for me to solve.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Bob,

I finished an old windmill (so not a modern wind turbine) that uses GMax animations, rotates towards the wind and the rotation speed depends on the speed of the wind as well :).

But I only have the technical part finished, the 3D model is not fully finished yet. So it is not an object that can be downloaded and used by others yet.