FSXA Wind turbine rotate to wind direction

Hello everyone.
Ultimately I want to make a wind turbine for FSX(A) which turns to face the wind and has rotating blades. So far I can get the blades to rotate but I have failed to make it respond to wind direction.

To experiment I made a simple wedge shape using the FS2004 gamepack in GMax.
It has a 100 frame 90 degree animation (clockwise in the top viewport).

I read Arno's Animating To Wind Direction tutorial (thank you Arno) and tried to apply the *_0.asm tweak.
I made sure to place at least two models in the same view, and re-started FSX. It does not respond to wind direction.

I can just about handle XML, but asm is new to me so I don't really know what I am doing. My hair is going grey!

I'd be obliged if someone could tell me what I have got wrong.

Attachments

Look for "rotate to wind" here in Fsdeveloper searcher. Itis a very specific issue and you couln't get an answer. yes, you will have to read a lot. but sometimes one get the solution.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Hi,

I didn't have the time to test your code, but I think there is a mistake in this line:

Code:
 BGL INTERPOLATE VAR_BASE_GLOBAL, 0C74h, \
                                       VAR_BASE_LOCAL, 0h, \
                                     VAR_BASE_LOCAL, (offset WEDGE_1 - offset WEDGE_anim_localvar)
It should be:

Code:
 BGL INTERPOLATE VAR_BASE_GLOBAL, 0C74h, \
                                       VAR_BASE_LOCAL, 0h, \
                                     VAR_BASE_LOCAL, (offset WEDGE_1_mod_1 - offset WEDGE_anim_localvar)

I've got it working now.

The only problem once the typos and silly mistakes were corrected was the object name.
I had called it "wind_turbine_2004"
When I changed it to "wind_turbine" (with no other changes) it worked fine.

Thanks to Arno for his tutorials and other help, and thanks for sharing to all previous posters on the subject.

Any way you could share that wind turbine for other people's sceneries? I'm looking for an animated wind turbine that I could use.

Please let me know

Thanks
Eric