• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Wind turbine rotate to wind direction

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello everyone.
Ultimately I want to make a wind turbine for FSX(A) which turns to face the wind and has rotating blades. So far I can get the blades to rotate but I have failed to make it respond to wind direction.

To experiment I made a simple wedge shape using the FS2004 gamepack in GMax.
It has a 100 frame 90 degree animation (clockwise in the top viewport).

I read Arno's Animating To Wind Direction tutorial (thank you Arno) and tried to apply the *_0.asm tweak.
I made sure to place at least two models in the same view, and re-started FSX. It does not respond to wind direction.

I can just about handle XML, but asm is new to me so I don't really know what I am doing. My hair is going grey!

I'd be obliged if someone could tell me what I have got wrong.

Attachments

• WEDGE.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 403
Country
spain
Look for "rotate to wind" here in Fsdeveloper searcher. Itis a very specific issue and you couln't get an answer. yes, you will have to read a lot. but sometimes one get the solution.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

I didn't have the time to test your code, but I think there is a mistake in this line:

Code:
 BGL INTERPOLATE VAR_BASE_GLOBAL, 0C74h, \
                                       VAR_BASE_LOCAL, 0h, \
                                     VAR_BASE_LOCAL, (offset WEDGE_1 - offset WEDGE_anim_localvar)

It should be:

Code:
 BGL INTERPOLATE VAR_BASE_GLOBAL, 0C74h, \
                                       VAR_BASE_LOCAL, 0h, \
                                     VAR_BASE_LOCAL, (offset WEDGE_1_mod_1 - offset WEDGE_anim_localvar)

Country
unitedkingdom
I've got it working now.

The only problem once the typos and silly mistakes were corrected was the object name.
I had called it "wind_turbine_2004"
When I changed it to "wind_turbine" (with no other changes) it worked fine.

Thanks to Arno for his tutorials and other help, and thanks for sharing to all previous posters on the subject.

Country
us-massachusetts
Any way you could share that wind turbine for other people's sceneries? I'm looking for an animated wind turbine that I could use.

Please let me know

Thanks
Eric

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello Eric

Sorry about the late reply. I've been busy.

No problem with sharing. The model is a bit crude: no texture or obstruction light.

Attachments

• al_wind_turbine.mdl
    74.7 KB · Views: 387
  • AL_README.txt
    781 bytes · Views: 405