Windows 10.... Is there a risk on the update/conversion?

Hey all,

Thinking of installing the update and going from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on my main work computer.

nervous...

I tried it on my emergency backup laptop and it worked flawless. I hadnt seen Win10 run that smooth before. Nothing lost, and even the screensaver setup was retained.

Should I disconnect my hard drives from the computer? If I do, will they be erased from the system setup, or do the drive letters remain, like saved in each HD unit? I would only be doing the upgrade, all personal settings and Apps saved.

Thanks for any input.

Any additional drives that you have, aside from the main OS drive (i.e. Drive C:\), should be able to be disconnected until after you've completed the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, as long as you did not previously install any applications to these additional drives, and they're being used as storage drives. If you are worried about the drive letters being changed, that's an easy fix. You can re-assign the additional drives the proper drive letter in the Hard Disk management utility. Another option, you can figure out what hdd has what drive letter assigned to it and then you can label them accordingly with a sticky note or jot down on a notepad the make/model = drive letter (i.e Samsung 860 EVO = drive E ), then unplug them and when you're ready to plug them back in, do it in order of the alphabet. But you should be fine just re-assigning the letters in the utility afterwards. Just make not of what drives have what drive letters, so you re-assign them correctly. The other option requires a lot of Registry editing. I do not recommend this method to novice pc users.

Holler if you need any other assistance

~WEB~

Many thanks Web. It all worked out well. I was a bit nervous, but after trying it on the AUX laptop, I went for it. Running smooth.

I do have the Win 10 blinking going on when running P3D V4, so I am about to update my video driver.

All is well, going smooth. :)

Good to hear Bill...

On an important note... if you are prompted to sign up for the Windows Insider Preview, I HIGHLY recommend you stay away from the Fast Ring. It can cause bad issues. If you do sign up for it, stay with the Release Ring. This way you don't get some nasty bug. A friend chose Fast Ring, and 3 months later Microsoft auto-updated his system and reverted it somehow to a time limited, non-activated preview version of the next windows build version and 10 days later the time limit expired and his system would not allow him to log into windows. I had to remote access his system (He lives in Ohio) and fix it for him.

~WEB~

Roger that!

I was in the program with their Windows phones, but not on Windows for PC's.

I have been learning all the shortcuts this has. My goodness, Windows has changed. And... Win10 has improved a great deal.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Now you have upgraded, and if you haven’t already done so, link your Win 10 license to the Microsoft account you get hassled to create when installing Win 10. That way, when the present machine is replaced due to breakdown or age you just sign in on a new, non-activated Win 10 and tell it your hardware has changed. The new install will activate and you carry on as normal.

Now you have upgraded, and if you haven’t already done so, link your Win 10 license to the Microsoft account you get hassled to create when installing Win 10. That way, when the present machine is replaced due to breakdown or age you just sign in on a new, non-activated Win 10 and tell it your hardware has changed. The new install will activate and you carry on as normal.
Excellent tip Tom!

~WEB~

Heretic

Resource contributor
I remember having to do this to recover my Win 10 activation after a mainboard and CPU change as my activation status was inherited from a Win 7 update back when 10 was released in 2015.

hairyspin

Resource contributor
I did it when last building a new, replacement rig. Once Win 10 was installed on the new machine, logging in to MS activated the installation and it has run and updated ever since.