• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Windows 10.... Is there a risk on the update/conversion?

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Go the whole hog, Paul – code your XML in edlin. Real he-man DOS functionality!! :yikes: o_O :laughing:

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Go the whole hog, Paul – code your XML in edlin. Real he-man DOS functionality!! :yikes: o_O :laughing:
If I only had the for thought to toss BG a bone when DOS was around, I'd be more than a he-man, I'd be top dog. Where's Stewie's time machine?

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany

Is this better or worse than vim on Linux?
A common joke is that vim is only frequently used because nobody knows how to exit it.
(And it really is more complicated than being trapped in the pharao's pyramid.)

Spartan simplicity comes to mind. How about low overhead. C: /dir, who needs all those folders when you have directories. :laughing:

Technically, it's "dir C:\".

Until Windows 10, I was a huge fan of Blackbox4Windows, a shell replacement that took up only 1/8th of the memory of the standard Explorer shell and consisted of not much more than a taskbar and a right click context menu. It was beautifully straight to the point. On Linux, I've used Xfce, which was mildly more sophisticted than BB4Win but still very light weight.
At some point, with increasing amounts of available system RAM and less "waste no megabyte paranoia" both felt somewhat tacked on and integrated to a low degree, so I ditched them for more standard solutions (Metro and Plasma respectively) that may use mildly more resources, but feel more solid and integrated. It improved my user experience tenfold.

Yet, I still run my OS update commands from terminals because of advanced laziness (too many clicks to navigate the menus). :laughing:

hairyspin

Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Is this better or worse than vim on Linux?

I’m as familiar with Linux as central Siberia: I know it exists, but have never been there. So this is thanks to a friend who’s a Real Programmer and wholly familiar with Linux, Unix, Whateverix: it can be said edlin is more comparable with Ed, the “most user-hostile piece of software known to man”. They are both text line editors, rather than text file editors. :yikes:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1281

If you can't stand that Metro look and start menu (and I can't - making the start menu a flat hierarchy was a real shitstupid idea) then go here: https://www.stardock.com/ and take a look at Start10.
Thanks for that tip. Went there, didn't really bother about Start10 but FENCES caught my eye and I got it for $11 (there is an earlier free version around, too). Now my desktop used to be littered with I guess about 100 desktop links icons, beautifully arranged in groups of here there and everywhere. Enter FENCES and this is how I have it looking now ...

uFeoW4C.jpg

Hover the mouse over one of those pink taskbars and a panel opens showing me the icons I want in the order I want.

Also finally got a custom Windows background pic showing yes! EDDI's derelict but still most impressive arrivals/departure hall, these days only accessible by guided tour. Today that famous clock is permanently stuck at 5:25:57, but on the wallpaper I have managed, with a bit of fiddling, to make an applet (clockX) show the current time, 09:46 (as you can see).

Cannot recommend FENCES highly enough. So far working without a hitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heretic

Resource contributor
Country
germany
I’m as familiar with Linux as central Siberia: I know it exists, but have never been there. So this is thanks to a friend who’s a Real Programmer and wholly familiar with Linux, Unix, Whateverix: it can be said edlin is more comparable with Ed, the “most user-hostile piece of software known to man”. They are both text line editors, rather than text file editors. :yikes:

YIKES!

Well, I don't need the Linux street cred for voluntarily working with user-unfriendly tools anyway.

GHD

Country
england
"Well, I don't need the Linux street cred for voluntarily working with user-unfriendly tools anyway. "

Like a card punch :censored:

Country
us-illinois
Hmmm... Fences. :scratchch

Forward ...into the ...PAST ! :yikes:

It's like Windows 3.11 Program Manager on steroids. :laughing:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Win...VMXM0KHRt0BnoQ_AUoAXoECA4QAw&biw=1024&bih=647

Actually I rather like the options Fences offers; StarDock has been a worthy contender for decades. :)

I use Windows Classic Shell GUI theme (now called OpenShell) with all my flavors of Windows.

http://www.classicshell.net/

GaryGB

Paul Domingue

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
As much as I hate to admit it the entire windows concept was stolen from apple in the mid 80s.