FSXA [WIP] First project - Sao Tome Island Airport - FPST

Firstly, thanks to all the folks who have been helping me out recently. Here are a few shots to show that it's come to something. Taken with the V key in FSX so sorry for the quality.

Here's the default scenery (with airport objects sinking since I didn't disable my ALT file):

How she currently is:

All custom ground textures, although they look a bit better in the sim.

Africa's St. Maarten?

A closer look at some runway/grass textures

Some shots of the apron:

About the only airline to visit this small island:

This is my first project and still very much a WIP. Once again thanks massively to everyone on this forum who has helped me out.

Next up is the terminal buildings and a bit of texture tweaking.

EDIT: Sorry for the oversized images, can't seem to get the BBCode to work.

Last edited:
So good!!!

I have been looking for a good São Tomé scenery for a long time.

This is a beautiful island that was lacking a custom made scenery to help simmers go there and enjoy it.
Can't wait to try a LPPT-DGAA-FPST with the help of your project.

Thank you for the previews. Keep up the hard work and keep us posted on your developments!

So good!!!

I have been looking for a good São Tomé scenery for a long time.

This is a beautiful island that was lacking a custom made scenery to help simmers go there and enjoy it.
Can't wait to try a LPPT-DGAA-FPST with the help of your project.

Thank you for the previews. Keep up the hard work and keep us posted on your developments!
Thanks Wolf, you've motivated me to keep going.

A few more progress shots. I've updated the base ground textures and finished the modelling of the terminal building.

To do list:

Model remaining buildings
Add detail to ground polys (dirt, brake marks etc)
Improve textures of terminal building (Current ones aren't detailed enough)

Last edited:
Great update.

It's looking really nice, already. Good details with the coastline modification and the main apron/building.

Needless to say that I was already a fan of this project. Now you show us a printscreen with a L1011 CS-TEB on the ramp! Well, if someone had their doubts, they'll be gone by now: you have good taste.

Keep up the good work!

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
This is really neat. The texture and the models look great. Consider that is your first project, you have made a success.

I would like to point out something if you don't mind, just only my opinion.

Comparing the terminal and the parked aircraft there, I think the height of the building is less than the aircraft. But it might be the angle of view, you need to compare the height of the building with the aircraft. I have a tutorial how to make the building fit to the real world height.

I think making the texture of the edge by using drop shadow in Photoshop is good and easy.
But looking at this picture, I found that I fell like there is a tunnel or hollow under the asphalt pavement. It does look like the taxiway is floating in the air, don't you think.

Tunnel.jpg

Instead of using drop shadow (I know the tutorial you read suggested that), I use Burn Tool or Black color about 60% opacity paint on the edge of texture. It will give an illusion that the pavement has thickness, not floating in the air.

WMKK07.jpg

Last edited:
This is really neat. The texture and the models look great. Consider that is your first project, you have made a success.

I would like to point out something if you don't mind, just only my opinion.

Comparing the terminal and the parked aircraft there, I think the height of the building is less than the aircraft. But it might be the angle of view, you need to compare the height of the building with the aircraft. I have a tutorial how to make the building fit to the real world height.

I think making the texture of the edge by using drop shadow in Photoshop is good and easy.
But looking at this picture, I found that I fell like there is a tunnel or hollow under the asphalt pavement. It does look like the taxiway is floating in the air, don't you think.

View attachment 24177

Instead of using drop shadow (I know the tutorial you read suggested that), I use Burn Tool or Black color about 60% opacity paint on the edge of texture. It will give an illusion that the pavement has thickness, not floating in the air.

View attachment 24178
Thanks for the input.

The angle of the photo does emphasise the height difference but the terminal is only small in real life (about the same height as the aircraft). It is a one story building. See here. However, the terminal is being re-modeled slightly so we've got the chance to get the dimensions spot on.

Thanks for that tip on the taxiway edge - I'll try it out and see how it looks :)

Hello.

Just wondering if there is any news regarding this scenery. I'm really looking forward for the release!

Just thought I'd update you as there are a handful of people interested in this project.

Started back with a few tweaks to the ground polys today. With any luck the ground polys will be done by the end of the month (This is all in my limited spare time).

The 3D models are in the hands of someone else, and last I saw were looking very nice.

Thank you for the update.

The latest previews you've shown were already looking good. Can't wait to see what's cooking now! :D

Still intent on finishing this, I promise, but real life is getting in the way at the minute.

I'm tempted to get together a sort of "Alpha" version so people can start using it if they like. Would just be the ground work and the terminal building most likely. I'll speak to my "co-designer" and see what we can do.