FSXA [WIP] First project - Sao Tome Island Airport - FPST

Latest update: Mesh and the ground poly covering it are finished (it was surprisingly tricky to deal with the coastline). My next job is to model the village along the beach. I'll get some screenshots at the end of the week maybe.

Main terminal/airport buildings on the way courtesy of @TheAxeman

awesome! Very glad to see there's people working on São Tomé ;)
How is the development? When will we see this beauty in P3D?
I'm developing it in FSX and have no idea how P3D differs so cannot say if it will run or not. I have been away traveling for a month and am away again in August. I hope to try and get this finished before August, but it depends on my co-developer who is working on the 3d models :)

How yo make your ground polys?
They are made the standard way in GMAX/3ds, then converted and placed using MCX. :)

As I'm sure you've all guessed by now this is another one in the large pile labelled "started and never finished".

Bitten off more than I could chew etc etc. I should have picked an easier airport as a novice - the terrain on this one is a little complex. If I was to ever complete this I would start from scratch as it's been so long I've no idea which files are which.

Afraid I might have to go away and learn a method to produce some quality ground polys/terrain as I'm just not happy with this one. Happy to be pointed in the direction of some resources for learning.

Those are really bad news. I was hoping for your success. I was really eager to fly to FPST and the project looked really moving in the right direction. Plus it was an African airport which are so rare in our community.

I have no means to help you with what you need, I'm sorry. I hope you are able to overcome the difficulties of this project and maybe one day we'll have a FPST scenery with your name. Good luck!

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
As I'm sure you've all guessed by now this is another one in the large pile labelled "started and never finished".

Bitten off more than I could chew etc etc. I should have picked an easier airport as a novice - the terrain on this one is a little complex. If I was to ever complete this I would start from scratch as it's been so long I've no idea which files are which.

Afraid I might have to go away and learn a method to produce some quality ground polys/terrain as I'm just not happy with this one. Happy to be pointed in the direction of some resources for learning.
Sorry to hear that, Wolf0.
Please take a look on my tutorial. I have done ZBAA the whole project in ONE file of Gmax and I think it is a very good idea to do that since you don't need to find your files, there is only one but successively saved along the project progression.

Last edited:
A second look at it reveals the groundwork is 95% done. Just now i've tweaked a few textures and corrected some elevation issues. Turns out my file structure wasn't so messy after all. Another couple of hours and the ground polys are done.

I have little to no experience 3d modelling the buildings so that's where this project falls down I'm afraid.

Deano1973

Resource contributor
A second look at it reveals the groundwork is 95% done. Just now i've tweaked a few textures and corrected some elevation issues. Turns out my file structure wasn't so messy after all. Another couple of hours and the ground polys are done.

I have little to no experience 3d modelling the buildings so that's where this project falls down I'm afraid.
The buildings side of things doesn't take too long, honest. A little time in Gmax or similar and you'll soon be on your way, most of the time it's just 3D blocks with nice textures on them to get started, and then you can build up to more complicated shapes as you go along. Plus, everything can be placed easily with MCX. Your work looks really good, give it a whirl :)

There's hope, then!

You already had a sketch of the buildings. It was looking promising. Even a simple terminal would be a very significant upgrade over the default scenery!

I can try to find you pictures of the buildings you may need.

That didn't take much arm twisting.... Spent the last two weeks learning some more and this is the result:

Much improved photoreal
Re-textured and re-modeled terminal
Two new hangars
Tweaked ground polys - just a few more textures to edit.

aaa.png a.png aa.png aaaa.png

So very nearly done...four years after starting. The tower and old terminal are left to model - and hopefully some vegetation etc if I'm feeling brave. There are not many pictures around so I will have to leave out some of the smaller peripheral buildings.