• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 [Released] First project - Sao Tome Island Airport - FPST

Country
unitedkingdom
EDIT - 28th May 2020

I have decided to finally release the airport as it currently stands. It is not perfect, but it is better than default and so I would prefer that some people get some enjoyment out of it than the files just sit on my hard drive for eternity. I think it is better than default, and the "Beta" version I am releasing today is better than the first screenshots in this thread of my very first attempt at FSX scenery design all those years ago.

This release is 5 years late, but it works for both FSX and P3d v4.5 (possibly others but I haven't tested). It is nothing fancy, just a new ground poly and some very simple buildings. Nothing like the amazing textures and models I see on this forum, but it's something and I have learnt a lot doing it.

Huge thanks to everyone at the FSDeveloper forums who has helped me. I have read so many hundreds of posts to learn and am very grateful to you all for sharing your knowledge. A huge thanks to Arno also for his great programs and resources.

São Tomé International Airport (FPST) v0.1 BETA

This release of São Tomé International Airport (FPST) is for FSX and P3d v4.5.

This is a Beta release and does NOT represent a finished product. Included:

- More realistic elevation/shoreline
- New Photoreal Ground Poly
- Custom 3d models (Old/New Terminal, Hangars, Tower)
- New Landclass for Island (FSX only)

Missing from this Beta release:
- Some airport buildings
- More detail,3d grass, the abandoned Connie etc
- Night textures! I recommend that you fly at day time!

Installation:
------------
For P3d, copy the entire "São Tomé International Airport" folder in to the addon directory of your choice. Activate the addon when you launch P3d.

For FSX, move the Addon Scenery folder and the Scenery folder in to your main FSX directory. Add "Sao Tome (FPST)" to your scenery library the usual way in FSX.
FPST_ADEX_2019_ALT.bgl MUST end up in "FSX ROOT"\Scenery\World\Scenery.

The traffic file "Traffic_Sao_Tome.bgl" included with this package requires the SKYAI DHC-6, and the appropriate Air Sao Tome livery. These files are available online. Alternatively, use an AI editing program such as AIFP to edit the traffic.bgl to your own tastes. The included file represents and DHC-6 flying between Sao Tome and Principe airports.

---------------
FSX Landclass:
----------------
To better blend the airport with the scenery, I recommend you install the updated landclass textures for FSX. Copy files LC_4931.bg and LC_4932.bgl in to the main FPST scenery folder (one level up). These DO NOT work in P3d.

NOTE:

This is freeware scenery, provided for the enjoyment of all flight simmers.

The files is "são_tomé_international_airport.zip", on Avsim for anyone who wants to give it a try and fly to the wonderful island that caught my imagination 5 years ago!

Enjoy!

Some images:

FPST1.jpg
FPST2.jpg
FPST3.jpg
FPST4.jpg
FPST5.jpg
FPST6.png
FPST7.png

Firstly, thanks to all the folks who have been helping me out recently. Here are a few shots to show that it's come to something. Taken with the V key in FSX so sorry for the quality.

Here's the default scenery (with airport objects sinking since I didn't disable my ALT file):

C1KtXjG.jpg

How she currently is:
gSvGtXj.jpg

All custom ground textures, although they look a bit better in the sim.

3WtyUot.jpg

Africa's St. Maarten?

NTNZN3T.jpg

A closer look at some runway/grass textures

ht6nHLQ.jpg

Some shots of the apron:

PhtkQif.jpg

About the only airline to visit this small island:

Bf87J2W.jpg

This is my first project and still very much a WIP. Once again thanks massively to everyone on this forum who has helped me out.

Next up is the terminal buildings and a bit of texture tweaking.

EDIT: Sorry for the oversized images, can't seem to get the BBCode to work.

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
A few bad renders of the terminal building.

First time modelling a building but it's fairly accurate.

Attachments

• terminal1.png
    terminal1.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 1,047
  • terminal2.png
    terminal2.png
    602.3 KB · Views: 1,078
So good!!!

I have been looking for a good São Tomé scenery for a long time.

This is a beautiful island that was lacking a custom made scenery to help simmers go there and enjoy it.
Can't wait to try a LPPT-DGAA-FPST with the help of your project.

Thank you for the previews. Keep up the hard work and keep us posted on your developments!

Country
unitedkingdom
So good!!!

I have been looking for a good São Tomé scenery for a long time.

This is a beautiful island that was lacking a custom made scenery to help simmers go there and enjoy it.
Can't wait to try a LPPT-DGAA-FPST with the help of your project.

Thank you for the previews. Keep up the hard work and keep us posted on your developments!

Thanks Wolf, you've motivated me to keep going.

A few more progress shots. I've updated the base ground textures and finished the modelling of the terminal building.

To do list:

Model remaining buildings
Add detail to ground polys (dirt, brake marks etc)
Improve textures of terminal building (Current ones aren't detailed enough)

7QJ3N9P.jpg
lhFApeW.jpg
Z5RvVNA.jpg
19ILZAC.jpg
csVaZdC.jpg
SttssG8.jpg
UXPUFje.jpg
N1Nh8MV.jpg

Last edited:
Great update.

It's looking really nice, already. Good details with the coastline modification and the main apron/building.

Needless to say that I was already a fan of this project. Now you show us a printscreen with a L1011 CS-TEB on the ramp! Well, if someone had their doubts, they'll be gone by now: you have good taste.

Keep up the good work!

jtanabodee

Resource contributor
Country
thailand
This is really neat. The texture and the models look great. Consider that is your first project, you have made a success.

I would like to point out something if you don't mind, just only my opinion.

Comparing the terminal and the parked aircraft there, I think the height of the building is less than the aircraft. But it might be the angle of view, you need to compare the height of the building with the aircraft. I have a tutorial how to make the building fit to the real world height.

I think making the texture of the edge by using drop shadow in Photoshop is good and easy.
But looking at this picture, I found that I fell like there is a tunnel or hollow under the asphalt pavement. It does look like the taxiway is floating in the air, don't you think.

Tunnel.jpg

Instead of using drop shadow (I know the tutorial you read suggested that), I use Burn Tool or Black color about 60% opacity paint on the edge of texture. It will give an illusion that the pavement has thickness, not floating in the air.

WMKK07.jpg

Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
This is really neat. The texture and the models look great. Consider that is your first project, you have made a success.

I would like to point out something if you don't mind, just only my opinion.

Comparing the terminal and the parked aircraft there, I think the height of the building is less than the aircraft. But it might be the angle of view, you need to compare the height of the building with the aircraft. I have a tutorial how to make the building fit to the real world height.

I think making the texture of the edge by using drop shadow in Photoshop is good and easy.
But looking at this picture, I found that I fell like there is a tunnel or hollow under the asphalt pavement. It does look like the taxiway is floating in the air, don't you think.

View attachment 24177

Instead of using drop shadow (I know the tutorial you read suggested that), I use Burn Tool or Black color about 60% opacity paint on the edge of texture. It will give an illusion that the pavement has thickness, not floating in the air.

View attachment 24178

Thanks for the input.

The angle of the photo does emphasise the height difference but the terminal is only small in real life (about the same height as the aircraft). It is a one story building. See here. However, the terminal is being re-modeled slightly so we've got the chance to get the dimensions spot on.

Thanks for that tip on the taxiway edge - I'll try it out and see how it looks :)

Hello.

Just wondering if there is any news regarding this scenery. I'm really looking forward for the release!

Country
unitedkingdom
Hello.

Just wondering if there is any news regarding this scenery. I'm really looking forward for the release!

Hi,

Progress is slow at the minute due to other commitments. It'll be a 2016 release for sure.

Country
unitedkingdom
Just thought I'd update you as there are a handful of people interested in this project.

Started back with a few tweaks to the ground polys today. With any luck the ground polys will be done by the end of the month (This is all in my limited spare time).

The 3D models are in the hands of someone else, and last I saw were looking very nice.

Thank you for the update.

The latest previews you've shown were already looking good. Can't wait to see what's cooking now! :D

Country
unitedkingdom
Still intent on finishing this, I promise, but real life is getting in the way at the minute.

I'm tempted to get together a sort of "Alpha" version so people can start using it if they like. Would just be the ground work and the terminal building most likely. I'll speak to my "co-designer" and see what we can do.