• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Wondering how to make these leather pockets...

Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

Any idea's how to swiftly model these? I have tried many ways. Have stayed up watching 3ds Max Fabric (cloth) tutorials on YouTube. The shape is about its own thing, rounded and bloated in the middle, wrinkles in the top edge. Quite difficult. Making a simple mesh and TurboSmoothing it doesnt give great results.

I could bump map the wrinkles, but... that would still have a flat edge. This has waves.

589w45g5er.JPG

w4ger.JPG
4tgrd.JPG
efd.JPG

Cloth with collisions just doesnt work as the waves continue and increase at the bottom, not lessen.

Maybe the pull/push brush option in Polygon mode... That might work.

Any neat idea's would be welcome..

Country
us-arizona
I used a Spline at top view and drew erratic waves, made it a tube, then deleted the bottom sides and extruded it down to make the body of the bag/pocket.

I also looked through CGTrader and TurboSquid for purses and things, map bags, etc, that might work for this. Nothing.

Country
us-arizona
A little progress...

This time I used a plane with Push/Pull in the Polygon mode 'Paint Deformation' tool (last in the window menu).

Also used some sideways distortion and a couple of FSD's in 4X4 mode to give it sag in the middle and adjust it to the seat.

I need to work on it though... Its not perfect, but much better then what I had last night, I think. Needs to look more natural and randem. Messy...

erfwe.JPG
erwdcsx.JPG
gred.JPG

Country
us-arizona
Ok.. I developed a work flow.
* I create a Plane, convert to Editable Poly
* I move the alternating mesh outwards to create a zigzag face at the top. Bottom stays normal.
* I use FFD a few times to give things some roundness here and there.
* I use Chamfer on the up and down edges to make them wider then move them to sort of make them rounded and more like S turns instead of V valleys, if that makes sense. Like S's instead of straight vallets.
* I did use a bit of deformation but it wasnt working the way I wanted. It seems unstable. This is in Max 2014. 2018 might be better.
* I now use 'Soft Select' and 'Spray Can' selection option (check it out, so cool, spray over Vertices to select them) and just randomly select and move vertice groups, with soft select set to the area I wish to move. I just move things around a bit here and there to give it a very rough, worn look, and Voila...

Soft Select...

Also, mid way on this latest version, I 'compressed' it (scaled it inwards) to make the wrinkles tighter. Worked for me. I made the start point part really wide, then scaled it inwards later.

I also at one point had to 'Shell' it to get a bit of the top edge to have thickness.. Also the sides. I used the 'select back polygons' in Shell so they were highlighted, deleted those polygons on the back side later, and extruded down the top lip. I mainly did the Shell for the side edges of the leather and the top edge. I also gave it a extra line with 'Connect' and used that to create a rounded edge on the top lip (all the way around, but the top was important as you will see that).

56et4re.JPG

I save a backup and continue and experiment. Save, clone continue.. save clone continue...

rger.JPG

The best part of the effect... Spray-can Select and then Soft Select / Move in quick random movements and selections... A little here a little there, move this up, move this over, etc, etc... Little bits..

rtgqer.JPG

Finished version.

wafwea.JPG

Bottoms are full size.. Top one is the same but scaled inwards on X axis to get the cool compressed wrinkles.
I then added Edges (Connect) to create some rounded-ness. See the top pocket, it has S turns instead of V valleys.
Also I added a notch for an elastic insert appearance.

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
I really like the top image, the "compressed" version. By the time it's textured it will look like the real thing! Good job sir! :wave: