• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Writing digital font string data (question)

Country
us-arizona
Hey guys,

I am putting in my digital font and having some issues with how one puts in the variable data. So I have to ask, if you want to display a font that is showing a readout, such as Fuel, how would you;

* Depict it 'with' vergage, such as RH tank, such as RH Tank 20.2 Gallons
* Depict it alonw 'witout' any verbage, such as 20.2 gallons
* Depict 20.2 'alone'.

Also, I am guessing that in a 'string' when spacing a name of something such as 'gallons' that would show, one uses /t/ as a spacer? I see that and I am guessing that is what that is.

Here is a string I am studying to try to figure out how its written;

Code:
<String>OIL°C\t\{fnt1}%((A:GENERAL ENG1 OIL TEMPERATURE,celsius))%!d!</String>

What does the {fnt1} mean?

I see also that the font is using whats between the % symbols. (Getting that part down).

I know this is very close to what you all taught me yesterday, but there are a 'lot' of examples I am finding, and I am a bit confused now on all the % and & and ( symbols. I am just wondering about a form of order, a simple stack order.

Sorry for the dumb questions... Horrible being back in Kindergarten.

Bill
LHC

Country
us-arizona
Ok.. I think I got it. Havent tested it in FS yet. Trying a different work flow now, getting all gauge text in order first, then testing. (Not so depressing then).

This is for a typical 'amount' only statement that will preceed the graphics version (digital readout along with analog).

Code:
 <String>%((A:GENERAL ENG1 FUEL PRESSURE,psi))%!d!</String>

Bill

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Why aren't you "testing in FS" as you work?

You do know that you can have an XML gauge running in FS while you edit it in notepad.exe at the same time, right?

All you need to do is "Reload User Aircraft" after making a change to your script and saving it... :coffee:

Bill, when I need to do something like test a <String> I use a "scratch pad gauge" that I keep displayed in the upper right corner of the screen in my FS a/c's main panel. It is a plain white bitmap 600x100 pixels. I can quickly edit that gauge in notepad.exe to add my test <String> (or whatever), Save it, and after a quick "Reload" see the results in FS instantly.

Last edited:
Country
us-arizona
arrghh..

My FS9 wont allow me to save a changed gauge XML. I have to switch out planes, save, then switch back.

But, presently, I am building the entire pop-up panel on a seperate Notepad, then I will migrate the entire Element(s) to the MFD when I am about done. (New work flow idea, speed of getting it all written and organized seems faster this way).

I'll be testing in FS soon again, lol..

I just found that there is a totally different style of full screen engine page for the Garmin G900X... I now have 3 to choose from, side engine, side fuel status, and full screen engine.. arrghh. To make matters worse, there are different types of side themes.. 2 analog gauges at the top, and 4 analog gauges at the top. Stress......

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
arrghh..

My FS9 wont allow me to save a changed gauge XML. I have to switch out planes, save, then switch back.

Well, I cannot fault you for not knowing about the "Reload" gauge solution, as you've just become interested/focused on XML script development...

...but, this solution was posted over seven years ago... ;)

I've sent this to you via email, but am also including it here for anyone else who might find it useful. Copy the image and save it as Reload Gauges.bmp... Be advised that this* will only work in FS9!:

Code:
<Gauge Name="Panel Reload" Version="1.0">
   <Image Name="Reload Gauges.bmp" Bright="Yes" ImageSizes="20,20,0,0"/>
   <Mouse>
      <Area Left="0" Top="0" Width="13" Height="13">
         <Cursor Type="Hand"/>
         <Click>(&gt;K:RELOAD_PANELS)</Click>
      </Area>
   </Mouse>
</Gauge>
reloadgaugesky9.png

To use, install this little gauge on your panel somewhere.

After loading your a/c the first time, click on the R once to "unlock" the XML gauges so you can then edit/save them.

After making your edit, and saving again, click on the R to "Reload" them and see your changes instantly!

* The FSX version is as follows:

Code:
<Gauge Name="FSX Panel Reload" Version="1.0">
   <Image Name="Reload Gauges.bmp" Bright="Yes" ImageSizes="20,20,0,0"/>
   <Mouse>
      <Area Left="0" Top="0" Width="13" Height="13">
         <Cursor Type="Hand"/>
         <Click>(&gt;K:RELOAD_USER_AIRCRAFT)</Click>
      </Area>
   </Mouse>
</Gauge>

Last edited:

Vitus

Resource contributor
Country
newzealand
For FSX, you don't have to create a gauge for this, you can also define a key for reloading the aircraft! I use the combination Ctrl+R for this.
regards
Vitus

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
For FSX, you don't have to create a gauge for this, you can also define a key for reloading the aircraft! I use the combination Ctrl+R for this.
regards
Vitus

Yep. In fact, that is precisely what I do, except that I use Ctrl-Shift-R because I'm less likely to "accidentally" hit that particular combination while actually flying rather than working...

It is for that same reason that I changed the "Reload Flight" from the default Ctrl-; (semicolon) to Ctrl-Shift-;...

...after having ruined a five hour flight when I thought I was pressing Ctrl-L to turn on the landing lights... :eek:

Country
us-arizona
It is for that same reason that I changed the "Reload Flight" from the default Ctrl-; (semicolon) to Ctrl-Shift-;...

...after having ruined a five hour flight when I thought I was pressing Ctrl-L to turn on the landing lights...

N4Gix

arrrghhh.. I have done that too, lol..

That Reload XML works brilliant. Many thanks for that very helpful tool.

Bill

taguilo

Resource contributor
Country
argentina
regards
Vitus

It's a shame RELOAD PANELS isn't supported in FSX, because even if it can be replaced by RELOAD AIRCRAFT, in this last case all local variables are reset to 0, an undesired effect for complex testings IMHO.

Tom

Country
us-arizona
I am having an issue with my Reload Panels gauge. (embarrassing). It seems to work every other time.

I am trying to write a string that shows up on the front of the bitmap that says 'on/off' so what its on, it will be reloadable and I'll know not to click it off.

Kind of like wanting to write poetry and not knowing how to spell.. :eek:

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
You will never succeed, because "Reload Panels" isn't a "switch" that's on or off...

It's like punting a football; once you've kicked the ball, it ain't there no more to kick! :D

Country
us-arizona
I'll bet I know why Gauge Reload isnt working for me. I am in full screen mode. My new vista (arrgh) system cant run FS9 in Windows mode for some reason. (It can, but parts of the screen wont load, half gauges show up, etc.. horrible mess).

Guess they didnt test that either.

:banghead:

Bill

taguilo

Resource contributor
Country
argentina
I'll bet I know why Gauge Reload isnt working for me. I am in full screen mode. My new vista (arrgh) system cant run FS9 in Windows mode for some reason. (It can, but parts of the screen wont load, half gauges show up, etc.. horrible mess).

Guess they didnt test that either.

:banghead:

Bill

I would suggest you change your desktop display to Windows Standard, instead of Vista options. Full screen should work fine then.

Tom

n4gix

Resource contributor
Country
unitedstates
Use these settings in your FSX Desktop Icon to eliminate the problem with Windowed View mode:

fsxvistasettingsju7.jpg

Shot at 2008-05-13

Country
us-arizona
Sorry Bill for not thanking you earlier. I did emmediately do this, but for some reason, my quad core, infected with vista, just doesnt seem to want to run FS9 in windows mode. With those settings, it only got worse, believe it or not. Had to reprogram all settings and joystick buttons again, lol..

If I had vista CD's, I would slip them out on the local freeway and watch the cars and trucks run over them. Then.......

and then...........

and then......