• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

MSFS Wrong Tower

Country
unitedstates
Some Towers Have the wrong tower, How can I change that.? the towers don't show up when i open a stock airport in ADE.

Gaiiden

FSDevConf team
Country
unitedstates
Some Towers Have the wrong tower, How can I change that.? the towers don't show up when i open a stock airport in ADE.
ADE doesn't import objects yet from default airports. You need to use the MSFS built-in tools to exclude then replace the tower. This is really easy to do, plenty of video tutorials on airport editing on youtube like these: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_Up4sAmkCfXIOqIRzS9OpQEJRyW-rnoq

In fact the in-game editor is reaaallly great. But it's not so great that it's worth creating an entire airport from scratch when the default fields are actually all like 98% accurate, which is what makes ADE such a valuable asset in working with stock airfields cause generating from the stock BGL does the majority of the work for you and you can just tweak the remainder in the sim

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
Jon will need to enable loading the airport XML from MSFS into ADE, so we can work back and forth between the 2 editors if needed.

Country
us-newyork
Jon/Dick, do autogen objects within the boundaries of stock airports show up in an airport's BGL files? I have just assumed that those objects are positioned in the sim in the same manner that other autogen objects are placed in the sim.

Unless something has changed in one of the recent MSFS updates, many of the towers and other airport objects that are included in stock airports are autogenerated and can't be placed in a user airport. But if autogen objects have GUIDs it's possible that they could be placed.

EDIT. I did notice a couple of freeware airports that I downloaded appear to have BGL files that place autogen objects, but I'm investigating further.

Last edited:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I don't think there is autogen in the sense of how earlier flight sims used it. There is OSM objects I think. These aren't in the Airport BGLs. Perhaps they are in the CGL files. I'm not sure they use a GUID.

Country
us-newyork
Thanks. I've always assumed that all those objects are constructed from information that Blackshark AI used to populate the globe with objects. If MSFS is like other Asobo games, those 3D objects are embedded in the DPC files somewhere, but their dimensions (height, width, length, footprint shape, etc..) and other qualities are specified elsewhere in the MSFS folders, so that they can be reused at multiple locations in the sim and still look relatively unique.

I'll let you know what I can find out from the freeware airports.

EDIT: I looked at a few of these files and they appear to be used to exclude autogen, so that's a dead end. So much for assuming that file names indicate what the file is used for. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Country
us-newyork
I think that I might be overthinking this autogen issue. The sim does appear to use the OBX BGL files for placement of 3D objects within airport boundaries. I've assumed the OBX files were only for placement of objects found in the stock MSFS model libraries. But maybe that's not correct and it also includes some "autogen" 3D objects like towers.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the OBX BGL files contain placement information for stock objects that are included in the default MSFS model libraries.

Last edited:

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
To be clear there are objects in several different stock files including OBX. These have guids and are mostly library objects with possibly simbojects as well. The next big update to ADE2020 will include visibility of stock library objects in the display. There are a couple of types of autogen (eg OSM and MS objects) these probably need to be removed with a scenery poly set to exclude and then replaced with library objects. I am still working on the best way to deliver this