• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

X-Plane development

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
Hi guys,

I am considering developing for X-Plane, but I'm not sure where to start or what the requirements are. I use 3DS Max 9 and 2012 currently for FSX development, can I use this to convert some of my models for XP? what about an SDK availability? I'm sure I'll have loads of questions regarding development of XP aircraft, but it is something I am willing to learn. I am open to any help, tips, advice, etc regarding XP development.

rotorhub

Resource contributor
Country
norway
Hi guys,

I am considering developing for X-Plane, but I'm not sure where to start or what the requirements are. I use 3DS Max 9 and 2012 currently for FSX development, can I use this to convert some of my models for XP? what about an SDK availability? I'm sure I'll have loads of questions regarding development of XP aircraft, but it is something I am willing to learn. I am open to any help, tips, advice, etc regarding XP development.

First of all, you need to create the physical model in PlaneMaker. This is actually a 3D object that is your base for the flightmodel. This does not need to be a pretty model, but dimensional accurate. Then you can export it as a OBJ mesh to AC3D or Blender and recreate the 3D model with more detail. This model or parts is then imported/attached to your physical model. Your physical model can then be "hidden". I use AC3D which is very simple to use. The newest X-Plane plug-in support the new features in X-plane, but I have not been doing X-Plane stuff for years. But they also have a great forum for developers (x-plane.org).

AC3D is a well known tool for X-Plane content creation. The UI in AC3D is very simple to use, and most likely you can do your 3D work and mapping in 3DS Max, and export it to AC3D. OBJ from 3D Max would probably work ok. Animations would need to be done in AC3D and then exported. You can download a trial and install the X-Plane plugin. Open one of the supplied models in Planemaker, and see how they are put together. http://www.inivis.com/

Country
us-arizona
Rotorhub,

What about a workflow for us? Do we have to totally rebuild a model? Why couldnt we import our model into their sim? Would you export to a Blender format, then from Blender, export into XP format? Surely we can re-use our existing model. (I know nothing about the process... )

I tried going into XP long ago and never got far. I didnt really put all my efforts into it, though.

Also, for some reason, and hopefully its gone now, but there was an existing 'negativity' of XP people (developers) against anyone that was a FS developer. They treated me and other FS people harshly. Maybe/hopefully that is gone now.

Country
mexico
Hi George

I think Tom Woods is your man here. Try to contact him and for sure he will be your guardian angel in the XPlane development battle field.

Take care and happy modeling!
Sergio.

rotorhub

Resource contributor
Country
norway
Rotorhub,

What about a workflow for us? Do we have to totally rebuild a model? Why couldnt we import our model into their sim? Would you export to a Blender format, then from Blender, export into XP format? Surely we can re-use our existing model. (I know nothing about the process... )

I tried going into XP long ago and never got far. I didnt really put all my efforts into it, though.

Also, for some reason, and hopefully its gone now, but there was an existing 'negativity' of XP people (developers) against anyone that was a FS developer. They treated me and other FS people harshly. Maybe/hopefully that is gone now.

X-Plane uses blade element theory for their interpretation of flight dynamics. So for X-Plane to be able to calculate the body forces and surfaces, the dynamics model must be created within the X-Plane enviroment aka PlaneMaker. It has been discussed many times, if models from other platforms could be imported. But I don't know about any tools for this procedure. But I could be wrong...

In regards of workflow, it may seem a little odd that you have to create the plane twice. But you don't. Your PlaneMaker model is a complete aircraft. But since our demand for beatifully rendered aircrafts is endless, the "work around" is to attach the external detailed 3D model to the PlaneMaker model. At least older versions of PlaneMaker did not support the advanced modelling or texture maps that is common today. I have not looked at XP11. I stopped at XP9, and I only did models for my Home Cockpit Project.

The endless discussion of what is the best simulator, is just sad. There is no such a thing. But people get carried away in meaningless arguments. I have noticed this as well. Development communities should welcome any designer that want to do freeware, or commercial development. That is good for all of us. And we will probaly see more content creators, doing mutliple platforms in the future.

Carenado has obviosly found a workflow that support both platforms.

It would be fun to see one of your models in XP. I only have the Learjet, and it is a nice model. Thumbs up and thank you!

For 3D Max export to XP OBJ, have a look at this;
http://steptosky.com/index.php/software/14-3dsmax-x-plane-obj-exporter

Country
us-illinois
There are 3ds Max export plugins for XP now. Watch some of the live streams from JRollon Planes on YouTube, he uses them for the conversion of his CRJ-200 for XP11. (Be forewarned though, his videos are VERRRRRRY long. Thank God for YT's time preview.)