Original Entry by Bill Leaming
The new XtoMDL.exe program for FSX is "command line driven," meaning that there's no fancy-schmanzy GUI to use.
%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /K c:\temp\xtomdl.exe /DICT:c:\temp\modeldef.XML
For example, my "Target:" path is -
%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /K E:"\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\Plugins\xtomdl.exe" /XANIM /DICT:E:"\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\bin\modeldef.XML" > buildlog.txt
My "Start in:" path is -
"E:\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\Plugins"
You can drag and drop onto that shortcut and a new .CMD window will open and stay open so you can see your results. The redirect command "> buildlog.txt" will write a text file with the results of the command, which is useful to review if there are any error messages.
As an "improvement" to the above(2), rename the shortcut something like "CompileAircraft" then move the shortcut to your \SendTo folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\SendTo
Now, in Explorer rightclick on the .x file and select "CompileAircraft" from the popup menu.
Creating scenery requires one additional command line switch: /XMLSAMPLE to be added to mix.
%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /K E:"\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\3DSM7\Plugins\xtomdl.exe" /DICT:E:"\FSX_SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Modeling SDK\bin\modeldef.XML" /XMLSAMPLE > buildlog.txt
1. XTOMDL.EXE generates only MDL-Files with ZERO SIZE -- International windows settings must be set to US (dot used as decimal character)
2. XTOMDL.EXE shows ERROR: NOT CORRECT DIRECTX OR DIRECTX NOT FOUND -- DIRECTX 9.0c Update from October 2006 is needed
3. XTOMDL.EXE doesn't start because it needs the MICROSOFT .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0505 -- Download it from Microsoft
- 1) Thanks to John Kane from ACES (MS Developer) for this tip!
- 2) Thanks to Tom Gibson for this tip!