• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA FSXA/P3D: 5S0 Oakridge State

Country
germany
Switch now with my fictitious work to the creation of the real destination 5S0 Oakridge State. Start from post #70.

After a break in FSX modding, i would like to start a new project, my "SM1" Airpark. Why a new project? On my first FSX project I used satellite images as a basis. Now I would like to start by working partly on the basis of some free available material. Then it is not so great for the beginning as my first project ;). A few early impressions...

120310_sm1_6.jpg

120310_sm1_1.jpg

120310_sm1_2.jpg

120310_sm1_3.jpg

120310_sm1_4.jpg

120310_sm1_7.jpg

Last edited:
Just a question, how do you get that resolution ?, not saying the detail, but really awesome, looks promising.
I trying to make a runway, but always think how to get the resolution you get, how do you texture the runway :confused::cool:

Just a question, how do you get that resolution ?, not saying the detail, but really awesome, looks promising.
I trying to make a runway, but always think how to get the resolution you get, how do you texture the runway :confused::cool:

The highest resolution of my textures are 2048 pixels. I work with self constructed Tile Textures (performance friendly) and Decals for some details on the Groundpolys. On top is a FSX compliant layer with a "special" texture.

Thanks for answer, I unwrap the texture and stretech them along the runway, the output in not bad , but I wanted to control the resolution better, should one to texture polygon by polygon, divide the runway in many parts and texturize unwraping one by one, or somthing so, and yes I think on perfromance too, as you can see I haven't too much idea, sorry for the poor bad explanations. I wan't get that level of detail, mostly because I don't know but know how to better texturize those runways.
Edit: About the little lake, I see something don't match, the water have like waves, the water should be more flat.

Last edited:
This looks really great.

Just one question: Is this a real or a fictional airport? I googled "SM1", but I didn't find anything.

It will be a fictional airport/airpark near Brownsville/Oregon.

A little more variety in the textures ...

120311_sm1_1.jpg

120311_sm1_2.jpg

120311_sm1_3.jpg

120311_sm1_4.jpg

120311_sm1_5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really cool GrandSurf, congratulations!
I'm just wondering about the texture amount.
I suppose that you use sets of textures / single textures on planes for the details on top of the base textures.
As I experienced on my last project, the average user PC is still quite "weak" and can't handle lots of 2048px textures.
I also started with high res textures and lots of details but had to resize them and delete some to get it work properly concerning performance.

If this is a private project not meant for release, keep it that way, I mean it looks stunning!
If you wanna release it you should consider implementing a program that resizes textures and/or allows the user to deactivate details.

Just wanted to share my experiences with you :twocents:

Keep it up, you're a very talented designer!

Only the largest texture have 2048 pix. All other 1024 and less. Texture Load for now 48MB ;) (without the photoground). As I said, I create tiled textures. This works well on my small testlaptop with no frame loss. Changes are always possible...

Last edited:
The first Groundpolys with a first parking area are almost ready. Then I'm going to make the seasons.

120312_sm1_1.jpg

120312_sm1_2.jpg

120312_sm1_3.jpg

120312_sm1_4.jpg

120312_sm1_5.jpg

Last edited:
There was a post or two last year slagging off the Flight screenshots for pathetic, unrealistic scenery and ground textures, now we see this for ... FSX! :eek: Never say never. Beautiful work!

I would "KILL" for those asphalt textures, ha! The decals really add a nice sense of a customized runway with some repair work.

So you are made it with 2048 textures. What's gonna happen when a user loads it up and doesn't change his/her cfg. settings? Will it just "mip" down to a 1048 texture? Would you have to tell the simmer to adjust his settings in some sort of User's Manual?

I'm conflicted as whether to use 1024 or 2048 for my runway is why I ask.

Clutch

wow amazing!! release it now as you work on it.. I would gladly take what you have right now.. the best scenery ever.. you have the capability to top ORBX

Back