• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Adding textures for General Buildings

Country
us-michigan
In SBuilderX/Tools/GenB, I notice that the textures for the General Buildings are in that folder. Unfortunately I can't get my Library Objects to work. If I add custom textures to this folder, upside-down and named correctly, would they work? Also I was wondering about night textures, because I'm not seeing those. Of course these are for my own personal use and I would not be distributing them in any way.

Country
us-illinois
Hi Chris:

Which object type are you trying to place:

* Scenery Library Objects

..or:

* Generic Buildings

...using SBuilderX ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Country
us-michigan
Since I can't get Scenery Objects to work I'm using General Buildings. I kinda answered my question myself. I was able to use my own textures in SBX General Buildings. Once flipped upside-down and named correctly. But I'm finding that they must be at the right pixel size of 256 by 64. I'm going to have to resize them. But it helps having house like textures. As for night textures I don't know yet.

Country
us-illinois
Hi again:

You should be able to get both LibObjects and GenBuildings working inside SBuilderX.

They work on my installation of SBuilderX 3.14 (64-Bit), although I cannot recall what I did to get them working other than to populate those sub-folders with the contents of the sub-folders from a full installation from the installer of SBuilderX version 3.13 (32-Bit).

I also think I added 3rd party thumbnail images into those sub-folders which may have been made available from Luis Feliz-Tirado, rhumbaflappy, scruffyduck and Brian Wallis from various download locations.

IIRC, when the SBuilderX version 3.13 (32-Bit) "full" installer written by SBuilderX author Luis Sa' is run, it retrieves and copies information from default FS folders. and populates the pertinent configuration files and the INI file in SBuilderX.

Quite likely you are running the "complete" ZIP file of SBuilderX 3.14 (64-Bit) made available from rhimbaflappy, but IIRC, you may also use a side-by-side installation of SBuilderX version 3.13 (32-Bit) without interference.

So, you may wish to install SBuilderX version 3.13 (32-Bit) and allow it to access the FSX installation folder chain to retrieve what it needs, while also allowing permission to install the Luis Feliz-TIrado "Modified Terrain.Cfg" at the prompt to do so.

After making a ZIP backup of the entire contents of the SBuilderX 3.14 (64-Bit) LibObjects and GenBuildings sub-folders within their respective sub-folders, one may then copy contents of the SBuilderX version 3.13 (32-Bit) LibObjects and GenBuildings sub-folders into the identically named sub-folders for SBuilderX 3.14 (64-Bit), allowing permission to over-write.

NOTE: Although ADE has the ability to import Generic Building placements, it has deprecated the ability to "create" those scenery objects to a minimal level if any, in latter versions.

[EDITED]

The work-flow that enables ADE to import and display Generic Building BGLComp-type XML 'placement' code originally created in SBuilderX, is discussed in this thread:

http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8251&sid=3373820232f239c97ec2ae71e8fa5246

ADE also has the ability to display thumbnails and footprints for 3D MDL-based scenery objects in its 2D CAD-type layout view, which can be helpful.

I am not certain whether that feature is also able to create footprints for Generic Buildings, but if so, one likely has to do most initial production of Generic Buildings in SBuilderX, then import the XML code into ADE.

[END_EDIT]

FYI: Helli Hauck, who coordinated most recent work on the ADE manual wrote an excellent guide for working with Generic Buildings here:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/downloads/generic_buildings_for_FS9_and_FSX.pdf

Hope this may help a bit more ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
'Bumped' for edits to my latter post, immediately above. :pushpin:

Hope this helps folks to coordinate their work efforts with certain BGLComp-XML type objects better ...between ADE and SBuilderX. :)

GaryGB

Luis_Sá

Resource contributor
Country
portugal
Hello,

I confirm what GaryGB just said. One should run the installer for SBuilderX 3.13 and then manually place the files contained in SBuilderX 3.14. Very soon I will make available a set of files that I will refer to SBuilderX 3.15 that should be manually placed over the previous installation. I could make a fresh installer but it is very difficult for me to sort out the sets of general buildings, library objects, macros, etc ... corresponding thumbnails.

Regards, Luis

ps: GaryGB - did you see my pm?

Country
us-illinois
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/adding-textures-for-general-buildings.441128/#post-783577

Hello,

I confirm what GaryGB just said.

One should run the installer for SBuilderX 3.13 and then manually place the files contained in SBuilderX 3.14.

Very soon I will make available a set of files that I will refer to SBuilderX 3.15 that should be manually placed over the previous installation.

I could make a fresh installer but it is very difficult for me to sort out the sets of general buildings, library objects, macros, etc ... corresponding thumbnails.

Regards, Luis

ps: GaryGB - did you see my pm?

Indeed; I posted initial test results to the ongoing PM thread. :)

GaryGB