• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Boeing 797 and some regrets

Country
us-arizona
About 2 years ago, while experimenting with the new FS2004 Unlimited project, I decided to build a freeware plane that used this technology. It used the FS2004 airliners instrumentation (Boeing 747 instrumentation, Boeing 737 Avionics radios stack). Many people find the plane on freeware sites, download it into FSX, then write me nasty things about how it doesnt work, 'the gauges arent working! What the who? Rebuild this!'

Note that they are putting an FS2004 model into FSX.

In the mean time, I had been finding out that Boeing doesnt like FS people that much and I was getting warning shots about using their planes. (If this goes payware, you will need to pay royalties, have liability insurance, etc, etc, etc, before you can use our planes to sell to the public, etc, etc).

So, I let the plane alone. But even this morning, I get yet another email from another poor soul that cannot read instructions, just downloads and installs another sim's plane into FSX and expects it to work, freaks out, wants to know why.

sigh.....

I guess I could recompile it to FSX format and wire in the FSX airliners into the package. Boeing took the wind out of my sails on it, so I really didnt want to do anything more with it. I thought they would have appreciated it, but that didnt happen. Perhaps I should just go to each freeware site and have it taken down. I am so dang busy with aircraft projects, having 4 in production now, that I dont have time. I just have no time... Its like a need a team of people now to get things done, and who wants to work for peanuts. The industry isnt doing well. ugh....

Scrshot1369-1000x657.jpg

Scrshot1376-1000x519.jpg

Scrshot14322-1000x658.jpg

Scrshot15272-999x655.jpg

Scrshot15262-1000x658.jpg

Bill
LHC

Last edited:
Its not good when you are in payware. Your dinner comes from these people. You have to make them happy or you starve.

I just decided to pull it from the freeware sites. I spent an hour trying to find a contact at Boeing, found zero, amazingly. So I am making the rounds, sending out emails to pull it at the freeware websites.

Sinking this one. Sending it to the watery grave. :(

Bill, I'd be willing to bet that the folks who write such letters are part of those legal firms who's specialty is searching for folks to extort into paying exhorbitant "license fees" and not so coincidently sell "liability insurance" as icing on the corporate cake as it were. They actively seek "opportunities" and only then contact the actual company supposedly being infringed upon and "sell them" on the idea that they're being taken advantage of.

Most of the time these companys think, "Why not? It may not be much, but it's income!", even if privately they really don't give a tinker's damn about the whole thing...

They are of the same ilk as those legal firms who's only source of income is to search out "patent infringers" as has happened in the most recent case of Laminar's current struggles.

As for those who simply cannot or will not READ instructions, I have to wonder why they think they'll be able to read or understand any replies you might deign to send back to 'em?

Last edited:
Arrgghh. Yeah I'd say you made the right call, unfortunate that you had to do it though.

Next time I see someone on a forum taking that "I want my money back" attitude over a freeware download I'm going to link them to this thread.

Jim

In the mean time, I had been finding out that Boeing doesnt like FS people that much and I was getting warning shots about using their planes.

Eek!

(If this goes payware, you will need to pay royalties, have liability insurance, etc, etc, etc, before you can use our planes to sell to the public, etc, etc).

Phew!

Its not good when you are in payware. Your dinner comes from these people. You have to make them happy or you starve.

Politely tell 'em to RTFM.

Sinking this one. Sending it to the watery grave. :(

Re-release it with clear instructions that it will not work in FSX.

Then wait until a third party releases a "FSX compatible" version. Problem solved.

As for those who simply cannot or will not READ instructions, I have to wonder why they think they'll be able to read or understand any replies you might deign to send back to 'em?

Maybe one should just e-mail them a picture of Darwin back?
Caption: "Idiots don't get to fly."

Such a shame you had to take it down, but it was probably the best thing to do to avoid legal issues, etc. I for one am taking very cautious steps when I am producing models, especially Bell helicopters since Bell and Cessna are both owned by Textron and they don't take kindly when people are producing FS aircraft for payware, especially Cessna aircraft:confused:

Such a shame you had to take it down, but it was probably the best thing to do to avoid legal issues, etc. I for one am taking very cautious steps when I am producing models, especially Bell helicopters since Bell and Cessna are both owned by Textron and they don't take kindly when people are producing FS aircraft for payware, especially Cessna aircraft:confused:

I didnt know that Textron owned Bell also. Yikes. I watch their stocks.

If you change the name or do not use it, and the plane isnt in production anymore, supposedly they cannot touch you via United States Patent Laws. If it is out of production, it is open territory, especially if its been out of production for 10 years or more. If the name is still used, that is theirs, cant use it.

So, you could call your Helicopter a 'Ball' or 'Bill' instead of a 'Bell'. ;)

I am tempted to try that someday. I want to do a couple of planes so bad...

Bill

I'm curious what would happen if you just called it a 'Concept Airliner' rather than plastering Boeing's logo all over it? It's not as if it's actually been produced and there are similar concepts out there so it's a different situation to making a 747 and just not mentioning Boeing in connection with it.

Does this mean i have to remove your Boeing 797 from my Prepar3D hanger?? I hope not she is a freeware gem and works for me and brings me many hours of happy flights:) I for one always consider it my risk no support if the builder says not for FSX and therefore it's my risk and don't e-mail the developer for support on that particular model or scenery. I say the best advice is RTFM and also don't worry about Boeing there just looking for quick buck in the legal dept like Airbus also. Brazil's Embraer and Canada's Bombardier/Viking seem to be friendly to modelers unlike the hostile Boeing and Airbus.

Does this mean i have to remove your Boeing 797 from my Prepar3D hanger??

Only if you hear from Boeing's corporate lawyers with an injunction, court ruling or similar. I certainly wouldn't panic, at least not on account of some lawyer shark's fishing letter - the smarter fish don't swallow such nonsense.

As the developer, Bill has to be more circumspect, bother them!

Boeing should worry about the lousy batteries in their " Nightmare plane" and leave alone the guys who make models.....I suppose like many other companies in the USA it will came a time it goes broke......and Airbus takes over.

I'm curious what would happen if you just called it a 'Concept Airliner' rather than plastering Boeing's logo all over it? It's not as if it's actually been produced and there are similar concepts out there so it's a different situation to making a 747 and just not mentioning Boeing in connection with it.

That will be the way to go in the future, Skippy.

I think Trans is referring to the "hanger" on his hard drive...not a website. Do you really want people to delete it if they already installed it?

Errr, there is a simple solution to all this.

CALL IT A BOWING!
Its a bow and a wing.

They cant sue you for using an un-copywrited or non-trademarked name. Similarities arent protected :)

BoWing L6L (L6L is 797 in your own font design. They cant hit you for that.)

Its not the Boeing 797 anyhow. It only weighs what, NOTHING because it is virtual. The real deal is a few thousand pounds.

Attachments

• bowing.png
    bowing.png
    528.3 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
Does this mean i have to remove your Boeing 797 from my Prepar3D hanger?? I hope not she is a freeware gem and works for me and brings me many hours of happy flights:) I for one always consider it my risk no support if the builder says not for FSX and therefore it's my risk and don't e-mail the developer for support on that particular model or scenery. I say the best advice is RTFM and also don't worry about Boeing there just looking for quick buck in the legal dept like Airbus also. Brazil's Embraer and Canada's Bombardier/Viking seem to be friendly to modelers unlike the hostile Boeing and Airbus.

If you meant deleting it from your own computer for your own personal use, then please keep it. I mean only to keep it from being circulated anymore to the general public. If its flying good for you now, please keep it.

Back