• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Flight Dynamics Workbook, Airfoiltools and Table 404

Country
germany
Need some help gurus. Doing the FDE on the A350-900. Using the Flight Dynamics workbook, on the Data tab, I entered all the pertinent information about the wing. It is giving me an aspect ratio of 13.6 whereas if I google the aspect ratio, I get 9.6. Where is the disconnect? Am I missing something? So here comes the second part....Looking thru Airfoiltools, I found a couple of plans that look very similar to the airfoil shape of the A350's wing. I am having a hard time figuring out how to transpose the information from Airfoiltools to the custom airfoil section of the root and tip tabs in the workbook. I tried using some of the NACA airfoils and got it to take off around the speed I need, but at FL300 the drag was overcoming the thrust needed to stay airborne and reduced my airspeed to 0 from 270 knts. Any enlightenment would be absolutely helpful!

Country
us-kentucky
I'm not familiar with the flight dynamics work book but I may be able to help with your wing questions.

Aspect ratio is calculated as

b^2/S

where:

b = wing span
S = wing area (theoretical)

The theoretical portion may be what's throwing you off. For most aerodynamics applications, the wing area used in the mathematics includes the theoretical space inside the fuselage where the extended leading and trailing edges of the wings would be, and this extends to the fuselage centerline. In other words, the wings are treated as though the fuselage is not there with respect to area.

The numbers you find online for wing area should usually be the theoretical area you need, since this is usually the only wing area parameter released by manufacturers. Once you have confirmed accurate data for span and area, use the calculated result for aspect ratio. Relevant corrections to overall aerodynamics should be taken into account further in the process.

Using some figures I found online with a 10 second Google search:

b = 213 ft
S = 4770 sq ft

A = 213^2/4770
A ~ 9.511

Also, concerning your drag and thrust, check to make sure that the CD0 vs Mach table doesn't increase too rapidly. FS2004 and P3D unfortunately do not allow much fine tuning of this table so I usually set it to 0 except AFTER Mach 1 and then adjust the thrust tables to give the correct engine readings/performance during climb and cruise.

Last edited:

Roy Holmes

Resource contributor
Country
us-virginia
Regarding Mach and drag, what you said is true for FS2004, but P3D has the flexible mach intervals that were introduced in FSXA so you can accurately describe the mach drag coefficient shape between, typically 0.8 and 1.1 Mach.
Roy