• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSW SDK

Let's see. Hopefully it's easy to add support for it in all the tools.

In the case of a flight simulator, it gives the documentation for the components which make up the sim: aircraft, scenery, effects, weather, ATC etc. It should also include the tools to build these where modelling/graphics/sound software don't actually have the facility already included. So for FSX there are compilers for scenery and aircraft, plugins for modelling programs, a tool to convert bitmaps to DDS format and suchlike.

Expect a lot of reading when the FSW sdk is released. A lot.

Thanks for letting us know. Good to see the tools to make mdl files. Guess I need to update MCX now :)

Hope this will be easily compatible with the tools we have here.

The bad thing is in the v1.0 it's only compatible to 3dsmax, but I heard developers saying they will update it to be compatible with blender too.

We never had a version that supported blender out of the box. But if the x file changes are not too big that should be possible I assume.

It would help if DTG mentioned somewhere which versions of 3ds Max are compatible. If anyone knows, please tell us, thank you.

No terrain tools indeed. Also the X format description seems to be lacking, so if somebody with 3DS Max can export a sample object so I can see which changes there are that would be appreciated.

I am seeing stuff for scenery objects but nothing for airport facilities. I have very limited internet at the moment so maybe I missed it.

I think you are right Jon. There is a new BGLComp, but the documentation only tells us how to use the ModelData and SceneryObject commands. No other details are described in the documentation.

Then I will wait on some more information before reviewing whether ADE can be set up to support FSW

I've noted that they provide support for "Legacy" FSX/P3D Materials so PBR Materials aren't absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure why they have released this partial SDK.

Unusable for scenery. No managed SimConnect support. Apparently no support for C++ gauges. No examples. Supports only 3ds. No x-file documentation...

I understand this is a program under development, but they must have more documentation and tools already in use.

It can be used to make new scenery and aircraft models. I'm almost finished understanding the mdl changes, still studying the models a bit.

I've noted that they provide support for "Legacy" FSX/P3D Materials so PBR Materials aren't absolutely necessary.
True, but in that case I think we can just use FSX mdl files. Although I'm still checking what the exact differences are in the mdl format.

Back