• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Head-up Guidance (HGS) - another milestone

WebSimConnect

Resource contributor
Frankly speaking, when I started to experiment I was a bit skeptic whether it is feasible to do in old-good FSX a Head-up Guidance (HGS) as seen in the videos below:

Now I am surprised myself by the results:

The most amazing thing is that is works as I wanted it to be :) , i.e. the synthetic vision overlay embedded in the classic HUD is visible more in poor conditions while it is transparent in clear visibility !

Below the POC results:

The white runway markings comes from the overlay

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

THIS, I know the Rockwell video, I wanted this HGS in FSX/P3D :D, I LOVE you so much :D

That is really cool. Great work. ;)

Is this implemented in many aircraft in the real world?

Cheers,

Ne le dis pas à ma femme, s'il te plaît :)
D'accord :)
(you are french or translator used? :p)

That is really cool. Great work. ;)

Is this implemented in many aircraft in the real world?

Cheers,

only 1 or 2 private planes, but, it make we want to create a fictional liner aircraft (just to use this :) ) unfortunately, I ca,'t crate flyable objects on blender (not talented enough, I can still create some plans for the one who want to take the challenge :p

Is this using the terrain to draw an overlay, or somehow alpha-ing through the clouds?

like a magic eye

View attachment 31086

no, it is my second working language which I try to avoid as I speak awfully ...

View attachment 31087

I do not think we'll see it in production in the near future but as you can see it is ready for FSX/P3D

It would be really cool to see this implemented in some current FSX/P3D models. It looks like you have it in the F-35, which I would imagine it is really suited to; it's the kind of technology I'd imagine that jet would be using. The Raptor and the VRS F/A-18 Superhornet are a few more I can imagine it working in.

Cheers,

The block 52+ F-16s can also use FLIR feed from the LANTIRN pod in the HUD.

It would be really cool to see this implemented in some current FSX/P3D models.

Exactly! I don't have a clue how this works in FS but it would be nice to see it as an option, or as an external library, which could provide additional functionality for a desired aircraft (like AES, FSEconomy, GSX, you name it...) instead of being part of a particular aircraft model - after all, FS is a simulated reality, not an exact copy of it.

Once again, congratulations on your achievement and ALL the BEST!!!

The block 52+ F-16s can also use FLIR feed from the LANTIRN pod in the HUD.

Is this using the terrain to draw an overlay, or somehow alpha-ing through the clouds?

Just to be clear, it is not a FLIR system. As you can see there are no objects on the terrain, just terrain, grid lines and runways. It is a pure synthetic vision overlay rendered on the HUD i.e. it is the same technique as in the top post videos and it works more less as the real thing, i.e. it has a little latency when making dynamic moves, and it is blending with the outside view, i.e. the less you see, the dimmer SVS overlay is rendered. I am using the same Synthetic Vision engine as in my previous post:

http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/synthetic-vision-system-quite-a-milestone.438466/

I dunno how this Rockwell thing is evolving and when it will be produced on regular basis, but after spending a flight test weekend with my own HGS-SVS implementation, the feeling is incredible. I have got already used to fly virtually with classics SVS, however still you are distracted by looking in front of you and PFD at the same time. Having SVS in front of your eyes that is scaled exactly as the real outside view is amazing and flying in the fog becomes natural with the "magic eye". I think it is like with the classic HUD, it brought a small "revolution" compared to classic instruments on the main panel.

When I started experimenting I was afraid that even though I am using the same spatial reference system (SRS) I would not be able to scale it to FSX ratio. How Rockwell scaled their HGS SVS with the real view ? That must have been a challenge ....

FS but it would be nice to see it as an option, or as an external library

well yes, it is a external library, but as it is an instrument (in fact it is just and overlay) still it needs integration with existing systems , either HUD or PFD, MFD etc... The library itself is customizable and allows integration with any aircraft.

Back