• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Heads-Up When Setting P3D Draw Flags

gadgets

Resource contributor
Country
ca-britishcolumbia
When you reset taxiway draw flags for P3Dv2 default with ADE, you get a message to the effect that versions of FS prior to P3Dv2 ignore the drawSurface and drawDetail flags. This does not appear to be true for FS9.

FS9 does not draw taxiways normally if the drawSurface flag is set. FSX (and presumably P3Dv1.4) doesn't seem to care. Of course, these flags must be set for P3Dv2

So, if you maintain several versions of an airport from the same ADE file (as I do), you should reset, i.e., set to false, the draw flags before creating the FS9 .bgl.

Don

I can arrange for ADE to specifically handle DrawFlags for FS9 if that will help. In old versions of ADE these flags were always set to false. If that needs to be done for FS9 then it would be easy to arrange.

You probably should - but it won't help me. I maintain a single ADE file (for FSX) and create the others from it - during which process I now reset the flags for FS9.

Don

Jon

The drawDetail flag in FS9 is for the default aerial photo satellite scenery. When set to False it allows the aprons to be semi transparent. Airports that do not use the photo scenery must have the drawDetail flag set to True.

Only one apron needs the flag set which then affects all aprons.

Just some info if you recode the draw tags in FS9

It might make more sense then to simply default the flag to "true" with an option to set it "false" in those cases in FS9 where it's required, eh? After all, the matrix is:
  • FS9 'true' (unless photoscenery)
  • FSX doesn't matter
  • P3Dv1.4 doesn't matter
  • P3Dv2.x 'true'

It's the drawSurface flag that I had to set to false to get the taxiways to render normally.

Don

I would agree with the matrix other than in P3D v 2 it can be user defined if the user deliberately decides to turn them off.

Sent from my Sony Xperia with Tapatalk

It's the drawSurface flag that I had to set to false to get the taxiways to render normally.

Don

Don

I understood your OP and that you were talking about the drawSurface flag. However, Jon posted

In old versions of ADE these flags were always set to false. If that needs to be done for FS9 then it would be easy to arrange.

I justed wanted to be sure that the drawDetail flag for Aprons would still be a option to change when needed.

Where in ADE can we set the Draw flags for Taxiways. I can only find the draw option listed in the aprons property.

I justed wanted to be sure that the drawDetail flag for Aprons would still be a option to change when needed.

Jim These flags have always been available in the ADE properties dialog for aprons and nothing has changed.

Thanks George

Thats for ADEX/FSX

Jim These flags have always been available in the ADE properties dialog for aprons and nothing has changed.

Jon

That is correct and I agree but Don is not talking about Aprons he is talking about Taxiways
I was looking in ADE9 for the taxiway draw flags and I don't have them. Like you say I have always had the Apron draw flags in both ADE9 and ADEX.

So when Don says in his OP

FS9 does not draw taxiways normally if the drawSurface flag is set.

So where are the taxiway draw flags for ADE9/FS9 if not in the property window

Last edited:
Jim - now it is clearer. ADE for FS9 does not display the flags because they are forced to false. So what you are seeing is correct and you can't change them for FS9. The other versions do display the flags because users may apply projects from FSX and P3D v1 to P3D v2.

So, there would not seem to be any issue in ADE (other than, perhaps, the inability to specify photoscenery as mentioned by Bill above.) It would seem the issue about which I was concerned only arises when one derives a FS9 airport .bgl from the .xml of a FSX ADE file.

Even though ADE does not support - and resets - the flags in its FS9 "mode", the flags still exist in the compiled file and, if incorrectly set, will affect FS9's rendering of the airport.

Don

So, there would not seem to be any issue in ADE (other than, perhaps, the inability to specify photoscenery as mentioned by Bill above.) It would seem the issue about which I was concerned only arises when one derives a FS9 airport .bgl from the .xml of a FSX ADE file.

Even though ADE does not support - and resets - the flags in its FS9 "mode", the flags still exist in the compiled file and, if incorrectly set, will affect FS9's rendering of the airport.

Don

Don

If you are using the utility fsx2fs9 then maybe Jon can add the code that will delete the 2 draw tags (or force to False) for the taxiway that are now in FSX.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. But, I already have my own "fsx2fs9" to which I've applied the necessary changes. My purpose in making the post initially was to help others avoid the surprise I had and the ensuing investigation.

But, I would recommend Jon make the change in his version anyway.

Don

So to be clear taxi link draw flags need to be set to false for FS9.

Sent from my Sony Xperia with Tapatalk

Back