• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

How to Decommission an Airport and Reuse its ICAO on a New Airport with ADE

I'm looking for recommendations on how to decommission an FSX stock airport and reuse its ICAO code on a new airport. Specifically, ZYCC used to be a dual military and civilian airport. It's now only a military base but its ICAO code is now used for a new civilian airport nearby (not included as a default airport). I've seen "How do I Change the Airport IDENT?" and "How do I Remove a Stock Airport from the Sim?" articles but I'm too dense to understand how to achieve what I need. First I thought I could change the stock airport ICAO to something like ZYXX and create a new airport with ZYCC, but when I rename ZYCC to ZYXX and compile I see it listed but I also see ZYCC on FSX's airport list. Both take me to the same airfield. Appreciate any help.

David Vega

Country
newzealand
David,
will this thread help you at all? you need to create 2 airports...................

@glottis, it helps somewhat. In that thread, the main issue was to deactivate FAJS and create a new FAOR. In my case, I need to deactivate the old ZYCC and use the same ICAO code in a new ZYCC. Appreciate your help.

Country
newzealand
As Doug said the instructions should work with any airport....................
Make sure you make a back-up first before making any changes using RDV

So far, I understand how to deactivate an airport. Based on the other thread, I need to create two .bgl files: one with the original ID but with all contents removed, and the second with the ID changed to something unusable. This would take care of deactivating the old ZYCC, but to create a new one, ADE doesn't allow me to use ZYCC as an identifier. Notice that what I'm trying to do is to deactivate the old ZYCC and crate a new ZYCC elsewhere. Is there a way to do this?

Country
newzealand
So have you compiled ZYCC with everything removed (except the Cross-hair), orphaned the ILS when you delete the runway, and renamed it to "Dafangshen (Closed)" that will give you airport one bgl's
you can then go into FSX and it will now come up closed when selecting it, go to it and the airport should be empty........
for the 2nd, open ADE again and select "open stock airport" select ZYCC, and you can now change the ICAO to your new airport using ADE/Tools/Raw Data View, be careful here as making a mistake cannot be "undone"
Save and compile again giving you the second airport bgl's you now want to use, go the the airport in FSX and you should see the Default airport with a new name, select it and check the airport
if you are placing the new aiport somewhere else you need to add the new co-ordinates into the properties now, not sure otherwise as you will still have 2 ZYCC"s
not sure you will be able to have 2 airports named the same ICAO, you may have to name the old one to something else

Last edited:
So have you compiled ZYCC with everything removed (except the Cross-hair), orphaned the ILS when you delete the runway, and renamed it to "Dafangshen (Closed)" that will give you airport one bgl's
you can then go into FSX and it will now come up closed when selecting it, go to it and the airport should be empty........
Yes. This works. In FSX, when I select "Dafangshen (Closed)" with ICAO ZYCC, I get to an empty airport.
for the 2nd, open ADE again and select "open stock airport" select ZYCC, and you can now change the ICAO to your new airport using ADE/Tools/Raw Data View, be careful here as making a mistake cannot be "undone"
I need/want to use ZYCC for the "new" airport. I do not want to change it to something else because in real life the airport code is ZYCC. For the 2nd bgl, what I have done is:
  1. Open ADE and select File / Open Stock Airport.
  2. Type ZYCC in the Find Now entry. Press Find Now. Click on "ZYCC - Dafangshen", click on Open.
  3. Select the airport crosshairs and type CTRL-ENTER to bring up the airport's Raw Data View window.
  4. Since I want to keep the ICAO of ZYCC, I did not change it to anything else. Instead, I edited Location/Latitude and Location/Longitude with the new airport values.
  5. Save the airport project and compile.
When I go to FSX and search for ZYCC, I only see the "Dafangshen (Closed)" ZYCC. I do not see the new ZYCC airport listed.

Country
newzealand
you may have name your new airport to something else then
is the closed one empty now?
i wonder if its possible to change the old one to something else
the problem then is the old airport will still show up
what is the new airport called?

Last edited:
If I use ZYC2 or anything else for the new airport ICAO, I can see it listed. It would be nice to be able to use the real-life ICAO.

If I understand your question, the new airport name, "Changchun," does come up if I search for the fake ICAO ZYC2.

Country
newzealand
ok so it only comes up with ZYC2, i'm really out of idea's now..................
i wonder if can you try changing the old airport to ZYC2, but i think you will still have 2 airports,
and place that one at the top of the scenery settings list
grasping at straws at the moment
unless some one has done this before and knows if its possible

Country
newzealand
i wonder if can you try changing the old airport to ZYC2,
thinking about it, i dont think that will work David as it's not suppressing the default airport, only your blank ZYCC will do that

Pyscen

Resource contributor
Country
us-texas
Yes, you might need to change the closed ICAO to ZYC2 and then by using the original ICAO for the new. This should satisfy the closing of the original but renaming it the ICAO to ZYC2. You should be able to use the original ICAO for the new "named" airport.

If the airport just changed its name, you should just be able to change it and not have to close anything. Am I understanding correctly, the name of the airport just changed its name?

Doug,
In real life, Changchun Dafangshen Airport was a dual-use airport for civilian and military flights. When it was active as both a civ/mil airfield, it was using ZYCC as its ICAO code. It became a military base only losing its ICAO (apparently no new ICAO was assigned). A new airport (Changchun Longjia International Airport) was built nearby for civilian use only with the ICAO ZYCC.

When I attempt to create a new airport in ADE and use ZYCC as the Airport ID, it tells me "This ICAO is already used by a stock airport".