• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

No windows Dialog will open

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi.

Strange problem here - no windows dialogs will open from ADE, so I can't;

Open Airport, Open Airport from BGL, Open Airport from XML

Any ellipses in regular dialogs do nothing. Just to be clear this is the first time running ADE in a long time, I no longer have the version I used to use, so this is a clean install. I have v01.70.6042 running in P33 mode.

The only thing that happens when I try any of those options is a very quick white flash on the title bar of the application noting that it is losing, then regaining focus. I checked and .NET 3.5 is enabled in my windows installation (along with other, newer versions.) It might be worth mentioning that my build of windows is an insider build, specifically 16170.rs_prerelease.170331-1532.

Is there any way to narrow down what might be causing this issue?

As a last note, I managed to find a copy of 1.65, which shows the same issue. But a copy of 1.20 does not, all dialogs work in that version.

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
I see this didn't get a reply. I am sorry about that. I must admit to not having any idea what this problem is caused by. to be honest I have not heard of it before. I have heard of situations where a dialog opens behind the main ADE window which, of course, would block and other windows or dialogs opening. In you look at the task bar is there another window shown in the ADE notification area. 1.20 is very old and so it seems likely that a newer function is throwing up a dialog - perhaps an error window opening behind instead of in front of the main window

Country
unitedkingdom
Hi Jon,

Just thought I would let everybody know that this turned out to be a windows-wide bug with common dialogs introduced by Windows "update" on the fast insider preview ring. Many more programs became inoperable as time passed. A fresh re-install of windows and now I have ADE (and others) functioning correctly once again.

Thanks,