• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Photoreal blend mask issues

So i followed the tutorials on http://www.ptsim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1060 and managed to get some reasonable scenery, but there's a problem. I cant seem to get SBX to read the blend maps. I've used PS to make a blend map, and saved it as a .TIF with the same file name and the extension _B, but it doesn't do anything, it says it should automatically work, but just saving it doesn't seem to do anything. is there a refresh photo background button or something? If i use the first option for photo scenery, it saves a whole square, and it cuts out some of the auto-gen (see attached photo)

Attachments

• photorealautogen.jpg
    photorealautogen.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,268
Country
unitedstates
The most common problem when making a blendmask is getting it into the correct format. The Resample compiler wants an 8-bit, grayscale TIFF file. So look at your SBuilderX source file and then your blendmask file. If the blendmask is not 1/3 the size of the BMP file, then it's not 8-bit.

Also, sometimes Photoshop spits out ever so slightly different files than what Resample wants. While PS may say it's 8-bit and grayscale it still won't work all the time. One of the easier tools I use to make a file just as Resample wants it is IrfanView. Load the file, tell IrfanView to convert to grayscale, save as a TIFF and you're good to go. Or at least I can never recall getting a bad blendmask file from IrfanView. It's free to use and that's a good thing!

NMG

Country
southafrica
I have never had issues with file formats saving blend masks in FSX... Mine is all saved in BMP format (not TIFF) and and the same size as the original ground layer image. I am not even sure if it is greyscale! I use Corel Photo Shop for mine and it works every time.

Something you may want to watch out for, and this happened to me, is this setting in your INF file:

Channel_BlendMask = 3.0

The 3.0 MUST point to the SOURCE entry where the bendmask is located. I stepped into this trap my first time out. It took me three days to finally figured it out!

Ok: Say your blendmask is located at SOURCE5 of your INI file, then the CHANNEL_BLENDMASK entry will look like this: Channel_BlendMask = 5.0 The 5.0 points to SOURCE 5.

Make sure yours is.

That is all I can think of that may be related to your question.

Country
unitedstates
I have never had issues with file formats saving blend masks in FSX... Mine is all saved in BMP format (not TIFF) and and the same size as the original ground layer image. I am not even sure if it is greyscale! I use Corel Photo Shop for mine and it works every time.

I tested a 24-bit BMP blendmask last night and it worked! All these years of converting formats wasted... ;)

Still need to look at some things in SBX, but it's having problems importing it's own Maps?

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
I think the blendmask confusion started when people tried to use 8-bit greyscale bitmaps... and they didn't work. So 8-bit greyscale Tiff became the 'accepted' format.

Dick

so use tiff? or bmp? 8 bit? 24 bit? the tutorials say:

1. open bmp background file.

2. make white/black file from that and save it.

3. save that as a tif in the SAME location as the original.

4. rename the tif to (original name)_B

5. it says that it should automatically work.... i'll try it again with bitmap... maybe...

Whats the inf file? i've looked for it and cant find it:eek:

rhumbaflappy

Administrator
Staff member
Resource contributor
Country
us-wisconsin
A 24-bit bitmap works... I suspect a 32-bit bitmap will also work. 8-bit bitmaps do not work.

8-bit greyscale tiff works. I suspect 24 or 32-bit tiffs will also work.

Dick

new problem, i finally got usable images from usgs, now i cant even embed them in sbx... i go to file > add map > from disk, and add it, but i cant compile. its almost as if it thinks it doesn't even exist... not even to mention the blend map...

Update:

looked in tools, folders, found it didnt create INF file and TXT, so i tried clicking on data file, and it seems to be ok now, will see if it compiles ok.

Last edited:
Country
unitedstates
Just to clarify my quick and dirty test last night, when compiling I was not using SBX as a test bed. I made my own INF file and compiled through Resample directly.

tried it, it still doesnt work. rgb bitmap, same size, black and white, does NO BLENDING whatsoever. :(

EDIT: Would it help if i uploaded some examples?

Last edited:
Country
us-washington
RCNESNEG- I don't know if you solved the problem yet, but I hope this will help:

1. my FSX active scenery is open and running.
2. open SBX
3.get sat image
4. background shows up in SBX
5. add map from background
6. do not compile map yet. minimize SBX window
7. from work folder take bmp to paint program and do a blend mask
8. save this blend mask as same file name but with _B.tif
9. Back in SBX select all maps - compile
10. I get photo01.bgl rename as I wish. (I usually call it photo_sceneryariportname.bgl

11. Place this bgl in scenery, shut down FSX and restart and go see.

Often this works. Sometimes it does not. Please help

I go back to work folder and check inf file. All looks proper two sources, same file name tif is correct with _B.tif. This is of course called photo.inf

All this is saved in SbuilderX\tools\work

photo inf is created when you compile. it shows the sources it got the info from .... the bmp and the tiff, and shows the destination... where it puts the bgl.

don't worry about changing anything to greyscale; just alter any colors you wish in order to match the surrounding default aea (if you want to) then do your blending with white, grey, black and then smudge or blur. Then save it as (this is an example only) L14x28394857684389_B.tif (the L14 and numbers are exactly the bmp filename- numbers in SbuilderX)

You will now see... if you go to sbuilderX's work folder.... the bmp, the tiff and maybe some other gooblety-gook. Get rid of your move any other files if you want to. it gets confusing when you see 12 other bmps and try to choose the right one to blend.

Back in the main folder of SbuiderX now as above- choose select- select all maps, and hit the green arrow. You should see photo checked. Hit OK. You're done.

Now- IMPORTANT! If you don't see any change in your scenery do one or both of the following-

1. Make sure your scenery is active! Silly yes- but easy to make mistake.

2. remember back where you did "add map" from background? Then you drew a square around your airport? then you clicked on the lowest little circle?

Well- do the same again but this time click on the next circle up or even the next one. this is LOD. This has to be higher that your scenery otherwise your photo won't show up or may flicker a lot.

You might get a warning that the program is still loading tiles. Wait a few seconds and hit ok again.

I do hope you are reading this. Take it from me. I've made all the mistakes! hahaha. Who better to learn from than one who has done it wrong! hahaha.

The above procedure I poste on SbuilderX forum. The response I got back was - my procedure was absolutely perfect. Now- as I said on other posts... gotta learn how to change the seasons! Bob

Thanks for the reply, seems pretty good to me, here is one INF files contents, notice anything wrong here? (i don't know what i'm looking for...) I cant find info in here about the "PHOTO_U42_B.bmp" so i wonder if that's the problem?

[Source]
Type = BMP
Layer = Imagery
SourceDir = "."
SourceFile = "PHOTO_U42.bmp"
Variation = All
NullValue = 255,255,255
SamplingMethod = Gaussian
ulyMap = 40.63132425
ulxMap = -111.998887861111
xDim = 3.60641460079897E-06
yDim = 2.69988125733796E-06

[Destination]
DestDir = "."
DestBaseFileName = "PHOTO_U42"
DestFileType = BGL
LOD = Auto
UseSourceDimensions = 1
CompressionQuality = 85

Country
us-washington
Yes- I see it instantly! You have only one source! At the top of the inf file it should say sources=2. One is the bmp and one is the tif. Your inf is seeing only the bmp.

Important... did you do a blend in your paint program? If you haven't or forgot, therein lies the problem.

If it's confusing, get up with me on Skype and I will run you through the process. Look for jyarddog. If you can't find me- IM me here and I will send my e-mail addy. You will get this going in a heartbeat!!! You are almost there!

I just helpe another friend a few days ago. Took about 20 minutes or less. He's doing photoreals now. Kick in the pants! Then we will have to learn the hard part...... doing seasons! :) That's when we bow and grovel to our master gurus here! :D Bob

Yay! so wait, what do i need to do on here? I don't have Skype. is there a copy of a good one with a blend mask referenced that you can post? i can probably work it out with that.

Yes i made a blend mask in photoshop and saved it as PHOTO_U42_B.bmp.

Country
us-washington
nah nah nah! hehehe.... You took th ebmp called... L14xblahblah blah.bmp big long number to your paint program... right?

You do your blend mask with that.

Now- In your paint program save-as .......now do NOT change that file name.

scroll down until you see tif. Choose that...

Now in the file name, add _B just before the ltif. CHANGE NOTHING ELSE IN THE FILE NAME! nOW HIT OK.

GO BACK TO sBUILDERx AND DO 'SELECET'

all maps.... green arrow it will compile with both sources. you're done.

btw- Skype is free. go get it! please. yes it is pay by minute or subscription if you want to also use it to call someone liek a phone but other than that it is free. do it. I sent my e-mail by I(M . look on top here top right side for messages to you. Bob

Country
us-washington
Yes PM is working. got your notes.

You have my e-mail. Use it. I understand you don't want to do Skype at the moment, but it would become so clear and easy if you did install it soon. Just a suggestion.

I sent 8 steps so far and waiting for your reply once you have gotten that far. Don't worry- we'll beat this thing! :) Bob

Works now, Thanks for the help, i think the problem may have been it was not a tif, and it was saved before i opened SBX.

Country
us-washington
Good work!

Final instructions-

You now have the long named bmp the long named txt, and the long named tif in the work folder.

Bring up SbuilderX again, Make sure you have select all maps chosen,

click the green arrow. New screen photo scenery button should be checked. if it is- great! if not go back and select all maps.

click on save to bgl folder if you have made one. If not don't worry.

hit 'compile' and wait
This might take a shot time or you might have to wait a while depending on how big the file is. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. :)

When done. Save in SbuilderX again just to make sure and close it.

Go to work folder and find photo01.bgl. Rename. I usually do photo_filename.bgl so I know which bgl's in my scenery folder is a photoreal bgl. Do what you wish.

Put that bgl into your active sceenry folder and go have a look see! Post a screen shot here, and/or send me a screenshot. :) We all want to see! Bob