• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Sloped ground polygon ?

Country
us-illinois
Does the Autogen exclusion show when you load ONLY: :scratchch

CVX vector airport background terrain-type polygon(s) for:

* central airport "horizontally flat" flatten BGL

...or:

* sloped flatten (that blends into surrounding terrain mesh BGL)

...versus:

* G-Poly BGL

If the Autogen exclusion shows when you load ONLY the CVX vector airport background terrain-type polygons, view the vector ID type in SDK TMFViewer and/or SBuilderX to verify that they use only the GUID for a flatten attribute (not with MaskClassMap, and especially not with Exclude Autogen).

If the Autogen exclusion shows ONLY if the G-Polys BGL(s) are loaded, further troubleshooting is needed.

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
france
Re,
The autogen exclusion come from my photoground, it’s really strange because my mask don’t come into this large area and don’t even have this shape !
Any idea why a photoground could create an autogen exclusion beyond its limits ?

Country
us-illinois
If the Blend Mask for custom photo-real land class has a Alpha channel grayscale transparency value less than (RGB 128,128,128) default or other custom 3rd party land class and excludes can be rendered by FS.

Did you create an exclude for the default airport background polygons and any other custom 3rd party add-on CVX vector airport background-type "park" polygons which load coverage for the Fayence-Tourrettes_Airfield area ?

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
france
Hi !
Yes absolutely, the photosceney use some gradient to fit smoothly with the background, so yes.

I created an exclude to delete the default field « Landclass » , this green area around the airfield, because we saw it if we wasn’t using a photoscenery tile over it.

I tried to delete the .BGL of this one but the autogen exclusion was still there.
What should I do ?

Country
us-illinois
Hi Alex:

Review your options for a CVX vector terrain-type Airport Background polygon Exclude in the:

* ADE Manual (see: section 9.2.2 on Page 132 / 309):

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/ade-version-1-70-documentation.437717/

* SBuilderX Manual (Help CHM file):

SBuilderX Menu > Help > {Search Tab} query string: Exclude > click [List Topics] button

PS: Notice how I structured a simple query string for FSDeveloper.com via Google ...at this link: :pushpin:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=V1qRW7DWA5C6sgWm9rXIBg&q=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+Exclude+airport+background&oq=site:www.fsdeveloper.com+Exclude+airport+background&gs_l=psy-ab.3...354518.371155..372219...1.0..0.181.2516.30j1......0....1..gws-wiz.U6aQSLHisbA

See especially this thread with an explanation by Jim Vile: :teacher:

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/cannot-exclude-airport-background.431027/

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
france
So you think that this autogen exclusion come from the exclude of the airport background ?
Because i already deleted it succefully, i mean that even without it BGL i still can't see the autogen ...

Country
france
And without a photoscenery on it, the green field isn't there (So the exclusion worked) and the autogen appear nicely !

Country
us-illinois
Hi Alex:

Considering your latter replies, this now raises questions about what may be occurring due to your flat 3D MDL-based G-Polys.

Have you tried making your G-Polys without grouping segments around 500 Meter central RefPoints ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
france
There is a misunderstanding, maybe I didn't expressed myself correctly :

With my Fayence scenery empty of bgl BUT :
- the photoground tile (Not a ground poly!)
AND
- the exclude of the airport background
i see no autogen exclusion with the default ground, the exclude of the airport background is working well and the scenery is looking good.

Now if i use the same fayence scenery with the same 2 BGL into it and if i declare separately one regional photoground from the scenery provider "FranceVFR" with it's autogen, i see an autogen exclusion that for sure come from my fayence scenery (If i disable it, the autogen come back).
So i don't really know what to do, i tried to delete the airport background exclude even if i know that it's working well, the autogen exclude with the France VFR photoscenery still there.

Thank you for your help Gary,
Much apreciated,

Country
us-illinois
Hi Alex:

IIUC, in the FS run time rendering test scenario described immediately above, instead of using a G=Poly, you are now only loading, in addition to your own (2) BGLs consisting of:

* a custom photo-real aerial imagery BGL

...and:

* a CVX vector Airport Background 'exclude'

...and you are only loading (1) custom photo-real aerial imagery BGL from VFR France (rather than an entire VFR France scenery layer in FSX Scenery Library GUI) ? :scratchch

GaryGB

Last edited:
Country
us-illinois
Hi Alex:

If you intend to enable FranceVFR Autogen to "pop through to the top" of your own custom photo-real aerial imagery textures, you must do so via use of proper gray-scale values for the Blend Mask in your source files,

Otherwise you must create your own Autogen annotations for your own custom photo-real aerial imagery textures.

You may also have CVX vector Autogen 'exclude' BGLs present in the \Scenery sub-folder of the FranceVFR Area layer of your FS Scenery Library GUI, so you may wish to test loading only the FranceVFR custom photo-real aerial imagery BGLs along with your own (2) files described in the latter posts immediately above in this thread.

[EDITED]

IMHO, to properly and successfully modify / enhance the default and any locally-applicable add-on scenery from ex: FranceVFR, you must identify the type and function of all custom photo-real aerial imagery BGLs and CVX vector BGLs which cover the Fayence_Tourrette airfield area in the FS default scenery such as:

[FSX install path]\Scenery\0602\scenery\cvx4916.bgl

...as well as CVX vector BGLs in the \Scenery sub-folder of the FranceVFR Area layer of your FS Scenery Library GUIFranceVFR by using SDK TMFViewer.

In SDK TMFViewer:

[Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK install path]\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\TmfViewer.exe

1.) Open locally-applicable custom photo-real aerial imagery BGLs and then also open ex:

[FSX install path]\Scenery\0602\scenery\cvx4916.bgl

2.) Enter Fayence-Tourrette airfield coordinates via TMFViewer Menu > Jump > Lat - Lon... > Jump To Lat - Lon

LAT: 43.608056

LON: 6.701667

3.) Zoom in / out on the local airfield via the "+" and "-" keys

4.) Right-click and select Identify Vector Features for ex:

* CVX vector Airport Background polygons

...you will see default texture GUIDs assigned to those objects.

5.) Repeat this process with any CVX Vector BGLs in the FranceVFR \Scenery sub-folder for Fayence Tourrette area.

In Windows NotePad, if you open:

[FSX install path]\TERRAIN.CFG < DO NOT MODIFY TERRAIN.CFG UNTIL YOU KNOW HOW TO DO SO PROPERLY ! >

...CVX vector object GUIDs can be correlated with the GUID for default object types and 'texture names' that appears in FS SDK documents:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/microsoft-esp/cc707102(v=msdn.10)#the-shp2vec-tool

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/microsoft-esp/cc526968(v=msdn.10)

...CVX vector object GUIDs can also be correlated with the texture names that appear in a pick-list of SBuilderX.

One can then assign that texture name to ex: CVX vector polygon or poly-line objects to be output by SBuilderX.

Note: One must exclude & replace default and/or add-on CVX vector objects to allow custom scenery to be displayed properly at run time in FS .

This type of work-flow is explained in the Terrain Design tutorial by Luis Feliz-Tirado cited above. :pushpin:

I suggest that you review these tutorials by Luis Feliz-Tirado (listed in the order you may need that info):

Make photo-real ground textures

sendfile.php

File Description:
It is very easy to create your very own high-resolution, custom (photo-real) ground textures. This document explains the concepts and techniques and illustrates the use of SBuilderX with which you can quickly and easily download aerial images and make this type of scenery. So, why hesitate? Make Flight Simulator scenery as real as it gets! Very sorry - no support of any kind is offered. Please do not write. For any questions, please post in the Avsim Scenery Design Forum.

Filename: make_photo-real_ground_textures_in_fs_x.zip
License: Freeware
Added: 21st November 2009, 23:20:06
Downloads: 17714
Author: Luis Feliz-Tirado
Size: 2143kb

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=140539

Terrain Design

sendfile.php

File Description:
Terrain Design for Flight Simulator X

This simple illustrated document explains the basic concepts in Flight Simulator X terrain, and how to change them using SBuilder for FS X. Make new water bodies, roads, vehicle traffic, airport flattens, remove autogen, add more detail - anybody can do it easily and quickly.
My most sincere apologies - I am unable, for lack of free time, to offer support of any kind. For questions or problems, please post in the Avsim scenery design forum.

Filename: terrain_design_for_flight_simulator_x.zip
Added: 14th December 2009, 13:29:15
Downloads: 16648
Size: 3991kb

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=141643

Using the Autogen Annotator

sendfile.php

File Description:
The Autogen Annotator is a powerful tool for modifying the autogen of default ground textures or adding autogen to custom (photo-real) ground. This document illustrates the use of the tool, and includes a pictorial guide to all autogen object types. Very sorry - no support of any kind is offered. Please do not write. For any questions, please post in the Avsim Scenery Design Forum.

Filename: using_the_autogen_annotator_264833.zip
Added: 21st November 2009, 16:18:51
Downloads: 4220
Size: 8930kb

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxsd&DLID=140537

[END_EDIT]

PS: Which FranceVFR regional scenery package are you loading to provide custom photo-real aerial imagery as far East as Fayence-Tourrette ?

I did not see one which provides custom photo-real aerial imagery coverage that far East on a cursory search of the FranceVFR web site.

Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB

Last edited: