• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Wheels sink into groundpolys [SOLVED]

Country
germany
Hey guys, I have a weird problem, that is driving me nuts. I am not quite sure if it is a MCX topic or no but it might be. I am doing my groundpolys as usual with the ground polygon wizard in MCX. On the apron everything looks ok although the wheels sink a little into the ground (I could live with that)

When I move towards the runway there is a little graphical "jump" and the groundpolys go up a bit. You can see that quite well if you have a look at the runway lighting (don't mind the missing light bulbs ;) )

1. If you are looking from far:

ocah5RL.jpg

2. If you are looking from near:

hlHxhOq.jpg

With the plane it looks like this..

beginning of the runway, everything is fine:

zzgVXH7.jpg

middle of the runway:

w2ZVdv2.jpg

This is really only a matter of meters and the change happens instantly. It is not the plane itself that is moving, it is the groundpoly. I checked the elevation before and after...

Someone had a similar problem or knows what the problem might be?

Did you use the FSX or the P3D v4 output mode in the GPW?

And does the altitude you entered in the GPW match the one of your airport and of the flatten?

Did you use the FSX or the P3D v4 output mode in the GPW?

And does the altitude you entered in the GPW match the one of your airport and of the flatten?

Hey Arno,

It was actually P3D v2 because I had the feeling, with P3D v4 it was even worse. I did now P3D v4 and FSX as well (P3D-layering -1, -2, -3 and FSX layering 16,20,24) and FSX looks just perfect and P3D v4 is actually the same.

FSX:

IAdkd1A.jpg

P3D v2 / P3Dv4:

UDWTrkU.jpg

The strange thing really is, that it looks ok when you are far away and just zooming in. But when you come close, the groundpoly "jumps" up.

Elevation was the first thing I checked. And that does not seem to be an issue as the FSX Groundpoly works quite well.

So nobody experienced something similar? I could live with the FSX groundpolys but für P3D v4 i would prefer the newer method.

Yeap, same thing happens to me (P3DV3). In my case, the runway/apron ground polys are high enough that they emit shadow underneath, and I'm losing the noise layers. FYI I originally made the ground polys with ADEx and edit them with MCX, which automatically rearranges the ADEx layers into Z-bias settings. Did notice that the z bias in MXC were all positive, and perhaps they need to be negative??.

It seems like I found the culprit:

I made sure that the centre of my groundpoly-object (which is of course the centre of the satellite image I used for the groundpolys) lies within the flatten area. But MCX seems to change the centre to the centre of the actual ground-polygon-area. And this exact point is just outside of my flatten area, where the terrain rises a little bit. With mesh setting of 5 m it was ok... with a setting of 2m it looks like this.

So all I have to do now is to make the flatten area a little bigger.

But I wonder, why the FSX polygon was ok then... maybe you are using different centre points for them?

Hi,

MCX indeed optimizes the center point, but you can disable that with one of the check boxes. For each 500 x 500 meter area that MCX groups the polygons in it will use the centre of the content as reference point. That logic is the same for FSX and P3D.

I might be mistaken but isn't that option disabled for the P3D-Groundpolys? Not sure and can't check right now. Will check that out tonight!

The group option might be disabled, but there is still a optimize refpoint option I think. I'm typing this from my phone, so can't check now.

I tried the optimize refpoint option but the result was the same. Maybe the original refpoint was little outside of the flatten also, I don't know. I just enlargened the flatten area a little bit (the optimized refpoint was literally directly on the border) and now it is working as intended.

Flattens didn't do much for me, as my airport area lies on a large flatten and the GP is still elevated (and has a shadow!)

I did find a workaround. I create all my ground polys FSX style in ADEx. I then import the bgl into MCX using the GP Wizard.....edit the textures there (add specular, bumps, rain delays) and compile for P3DV3. Works perfect! This is the only method Ive been succesful at for generating P3Dv3 GPs with P3D Material Settings.

Results below:

24879442_10155089386537517_594125083_o.jpg

Back