• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX Finland sceneries

Should I tease you more?

We rocked the lakes and rivers. There are thousands of rocks placed in real world locations. The first pic is close to Mariehamn, EFMA. You can barely see windmills that Finland obstacle data adds.
Rock_1.jpg

This is one is from the lake Inarijärvi, from the north Finland.
Rock_2.jpg

And freezing the waters for the winter... that is totally necessary here in North Finland. Two screenshots from Lake Inari area...

Inari_1.jpg

Inari_2.jpg

The sceneries are available!!

Let's rock!

http://files.fsnordic.net/new/

Hello. For long time ago we had a Scenery design group in Finland called FISD, Finnish Scenery Designers. We used to release many sceneries just before Christmas... maybe I still have this schedule in my mind, or simply I want to have things ready for holidays. I don't know, but there are now 5 new sceneries uploaded for Finland.

Brings back memories. I used to have a lot of discussion with the FISD developers in the past. Sounds not so long ago, but now that I think about it, it's probably over 10 years ago already :)

Brings back memories. I used to have a lot of discussion with the FISD developers in the past. Sounds not so long ago, but now that I think about it, it's probably over 10 years ago already :)

Yes Arno, I think the most "busiest" time was 2003-2007.

They were good talks back then, and still are. Your invaluable tools are very important in this hobby. Thank you.

Last edited:
I just tested the Finland south pack together with Finland Base Pack v2 and it looks really great! There's just one small niggle, where there should be certain large buildings like factories, shopping centres etc. there are now only big white empty squares. I have tried with both scenery complexity and density at highest but it doesn't seem to help. This is also on a vanilla FSX: Steam Edition installation so no other sceneries installed. The picture is taken over Vaasa, any ideas?

T. Andreas
white square.jpg

Those are parking lots.

Cities are difficult to do with default textures, we have to replace them with photoscenery or find some other creative ways.

I actually think there is a photoscenery for Vaasa also. It's for FS2004 but works in FSX.

Ok I get it. I actually thought at first that the square were parking lots but noticed that the large buildings that should be in conjunction with them weren't there. Yes I have that photoscenery, I might slap it on over the default textures. Thank you Tatu!

T. Andreas

I know the parking places look kind of stupid that way, but we'll see what we can make out of it in the future. It's actually the worst with the default textures. FTX Global looks better.

Now some people have not realised that FinlandX is no more needed. So make sure you remove FinlandX if it's in you scenery library.
The author of the South Finland scenery edited the readme file as well:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YCMggGwg6nTXIJJs76alqUxnvE7yIgrI/view?usp=sharing

Or zipped pdf:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/137oMrmWy_V4H0mE8j89WSIc8QSHIXCYN/view?usp=sharing

Hi Tatu, and hello everyone! And just simply WOW - this was an extremely nice thread for me! Found my way (back) here after many years of FS inactivity. I was an active member of the Finnish Scenery Designers back in the early 2000's (Bamce), but had to stop FS'ing almost totally as I founded a small company and was working 120% with my business. Now I am retiring, and as a pensioneer I will have more time for flying FS again. Happy times. :)

About three years ago my daughter and her boyfriend went on a backpacking trip to New Zealand. I followed them on their trip, flying an FSX Baron 58 in the marvellous ORBX NZ scenery. That was fun for about a month but since then time has again been a limit. Now, a few weeks ago I fired up my old FSX. Tried to get decent FPS out of it, but did not succeed until I switched over to FSX Steam. Now everything is working fine and I have been adding ORBX Norway to my sceneries and explored the Norwegian fiords in an A2A Cherokee PA-28-180 and an A2A Bonanza V35 (I am only flying GA). Yesterday I was looking for Finnish sceneries (the standard FSX scenery is really not worth flying in Finland) and stumbled upon this thread. Yesterday evening was a late evening, downloading and installing all the stuff found through this thread. You have done an excellent Job, Tatu!

Time will tell if I get back into scenery development again - maybe converting my old EFMA, EFKG and EFHN sceneries to FSX... Have to look into the new tools... It seems that the Steam version has brought new (and old) simmers into FSX and that the commercial add-on production is doing well.

Time will tell if I get back into scenery development again - maybe converting my old EFMA, EFKG and EFHN sceneries to FSX... Have to look into the new tools... It seems that the Steam version has brought new (and old) simmers into FSX and that the commercial add-on production is doing well.

a relatively accurate Scenery of EFMA for FSX is available here: MBL DESIGN SCENERIES
You might check this out.

a relatively accurate Scenery of EFMA for FSX is available here: MBL DESIGN SCENERIES
Nice looking scenery! Unfortunately I can not make it work in my FSX-SE. I installed it normally, and it looks nice when I when I go to the EFMA airport. But as soon as I press P to take the sim out of Pause I get a "CRASH" message and the view changes to outside view! This repeats two or three times, then the sim crashes to desktop. The same plane works flawlessly with the standard EFMA and on other airports. The problems appear only when this EFMA version is installed. I tried to delete the effects, but that did not help. I also reinstalled the scenery, no help. Has anyone made it work with FSX Steam? I also have the rather new Southern Finland installed but there is no airports in that package. Can't figure out what causes this.

Nice looking scenery! Unfortunately I can not make it work in my FSX-SE. I installed it normally, and it looks nice when I when I go to the EFMA airport. But as soon as I press P to take the sim out of Pause I get a "CRASH" message and the view changes to outside view! This repeats two or three times, then the sim crashes to desktop. The same plane works flawlessly with the standard EFMA and on other airports. The problems appear only when this EFMA version is installed. I tried to delete the effects, but that did not help. I also reinstalled the scenery, no help. Has anyone made it work with FSX Steam? I also have the rather new Southern Finland installed but there is no airports in that package. Can't figure out what causes this.

Otherwise you might try this scenery: EFMA for FSX

Hi Tatu,
I see a problem with the scenery around Vaasa. I use FSXA, Finland_Base_Pack_V2, South Finland, Vaasa Photoscenerie_1.0 and Finnish_Photosceneries_ I and II.
I flew nearby Vaasa north direction and saw some white-grey places. Any idea what could this mistake be?
NearVaasajpg.jpg

Hi Tatu,
some (longer) testing brought new findings. The BGLfiles: PKX_5309_Maasto, PKX_5309_Pientareet, PKX_5309_Sands_def and PKX_5309_Sport of the South-Finland scenery cause the bad polygons near Vaasa. I don't know why, but now it works. In this region I have only your addons, no ORBX maybe the old GEX Europe.

Edit: Tatu isn't the designer of this scenery, sorry. I wrote to Kari R. from the FSnordic forum.

Last edited:
Surprise for me: The supposed bug isn't a bug.
Quote Kari R.:
Those light areas you noticed are actually fields (farmland). Also those polygons with different colour around those are fields just using different default texture in FSX.
In FSX available default textures, which were used are limited and doesn't always look 'natural'. Thus some like those farmland areas might look strange.
Different textures for field polygons is used in a certain way, so that all fields don't look the same. Which would be very dull looking scenery like on that area where there is a lot of fields. Texture variance used doesn't match reality, because it would be difficult to achieve just using FSX default textures and also a huge job

Only the seasons spring and fall made this "strange" looking.

I made several tests, disabling various other meshes and sceneries affecting that area, but it still did not work. Now, I tried again - deleted all the old EFMA stuff, downloaded it once again and installed it - an now it works! Excellent. Must have been something wrong in the original download that I made. Nice looking scenery, but needs a bigger flatten or adjusted mesh to conform to the Finland Base Scenery and South Finland scenery. I'll see if I can do something about it....

Back