• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Windows 10

scruffyduck

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
unitedkingdom
Well someone had to start a thread on it ;) I have religiously stayed away from Win 8 in all its incarnations. However I subscribe to the view that every other version of Windows is crap. So XP and Windows 7 were good; Vista and 8 were crap and my knowledge of 10 makes me hopeful. Anyway it is the last big Windows launch (if MS are to be believed). I am downloading it as I type. Fingers crossed :yikes:

It is a free upgrade to qualifying users of Windows 7 and 8 for one year from today.

I have been running Win 10 preview since it first came out. I call it Win X. It's on my laptop and I have some issues with Max 9. I'm hesitant to install it on my desktop. I reserved a copy and I hope I can it as an ISO.

I have it as an ISO as I have a subscription to MSDN. Not sure how it will be delivered by the reserve option. I suppose it might download an ISO but whether you can get to it is another thing.

I'd certainly be interested in how people get on here, I love Win 8, and I'm sure that I'll love 10, but I need to be certain that old stuff like GMAX will still work... plus a lot of old tools lurking about on my drive, which I forget I have until I need them.
On the other hand, I'm waiting on the completed download on my Win 8 tablet, and my 'retired' Win 7 desktop. So I'll be able to get my new OS 'fix', even if I have to leave the main machine with 8.1...

Yes also watching this topic, concerned there might be too many devtools that wont work, new PC in a week or two but will probably stick with Win7-64 for now

There is a hidden option that everyone needs to be aware of. Apparently, in an attempt to spread their new software more quickly, by default your PC will become a 'host' sort of like a torrent server, unless you go to this menu and opt out!
11802781_10205756455162918_8628981169370689451_o.jpg

There is a hidden option that everyone needs to be aware of. Apparently, in an attempt to spread their new software more quickly, by default your PC will become a 'host' sort of like a torrent server, unless you go to this menu and opt out!
11802781_10205756455162918_8628981169370689451_o.jpg
So win10 is bot!! no way! That won't go down well here in Europe at all!

Well half the world already use different torrent sites and tools so why not Windows ;)

Well someone had to start a thread on it ;) I have religiously stayed away from Win 8 in all its incarnations. However I subscribe to the view that every other version of Windows is crap. So XP and Windows 7 were good; Vista and 8 were crap and my knowledge of 10 makes me hopeful. Anyway it is the last big Windows launch (if MS are to be believed). I am downloading it as I type. Fingers crossed :yikes:

I'm inclined to agree ! :D

I also tend to wait at least 2 years for any new version of Windows to get the major RTM bugs "fixed" before I'll even put it on my computer. ;)

GaryGB

Well half the world already use different torrent sites and tools so why not Windows ;)
I'm not terribly surprised myself, after all there are millions of PCs out there to update!

Even SCS has incorporated an 'online updater' tool in their ETS2 program that is actually nothing more than an automated torrent downloader. It's fast, and saves SCS a lot of bandwidth for those Luddite customers (like myself) who don't want to bother with Steam.

It has always been one of my most intractable issues - trying to find a way to keep folks up to date without forcing it on them. Mind you I am rubbish at keeping software up to date myself :oops:

Translated from a Dutch consumer organization privacy warning:
These are Windows 10 standard settings:
Windows 10 will send all typed and spoken text to Microsoft so that the personal assistant Cortana learns 'to know you better'.
The content of your adress book will also be uploaded to this internet site without your friends being asked as much.
Windows 10 will send every website page you visited to Microsoft for safety analysis purposes (SmartScreen technology that is already incorporated in earlier versions of Internet Explorer as well).
Windows 10 shares your wifi passwords to your 'friends' on social networks without your implicit consent.
Each program (app) on your PC is allowed to read your unique advertisement ID.
The new browser Edge will show you personalized ads.
Your PC will save your location all the time and share your location history with all apps on your PC that request it.
The apps you install will identify you straight away (name, picture).

Translated from a Dutch consumer organization privacy warning:
These are Windows 10 standard settings:
Windows 10 will send all typed and spoken text to Microsoft so that the personal assistant Cortana learns 'to know you better'.
The content of your adress book will also be uploaded to this internet site without your friends being asked as much.
Windows 10 will send every website page you visited to Microsoft for safety analysis purposes (SmartScreen technology that is already incorporated in earlier versions of Internet Explorer as well).
Windows 10 shares your wifi passwords to your 'friends' on social networks without your implicit consent.
Each program (app) on your PC is allowed to read your unique advertisement ID.
The new browser Edge will show you personalized ads.
Your PC will save your location all the time and share your location history with all apps on your PC that request it.
The apps you install will identify you straight away (name, picture).

I hear you should chose a Custom Installation not an Express as Custom will allow you a chance to Opt OUT of sending
any of your data to Microsoft!!!!!

I am sure there will be some NASTY surprises ahead with Windows10. Microsoft has NOT changed and never will.
I will wait 3-4 months before I jump in. By that time someone will have written a tutorial on how to install Windows10
with as little contact with Microsoft as possible.

CK

I'm in no hurry. Will wait a few months to see where the dust settles on all the controversies. May try it on one of my laptops laying around first. 7 is working superb for me right now and I am sure with 10 I will perform a format with a fresh install. Hopefully, I can time all this with my DX12 GPU purchases and my P3D 64bit install, ha!

Regarding sending data and privacy:
I have Windows Phone 8.1 on my Nokia and it does allow you to opt out of anything related to sharing any data whatsoever, as long as you bother to go through the settings menu.
I'm pretty confident that Win 10 won't be any different, because blatantly collecting everything without providing an option to opt out would be a breach of about 240000 EU and national laws.
(Setting data collection to "on" by default, and thus making use of the ignorance of the average user, however, is something different.)

As for Cortana: She's as useless as it gets. If you can turn her off, do it and don't look back.

Back