• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Country
unitedstates
Good morning,
I've been trying out the Avatar feature in P3D4 with the default characters. However, I'd like to design my own Avatar, as the default "Man in blue jeans" one is pretty basic. Is this possible? If so, what software do I need to make it work? I've used human modeling tools like MakeHuman before, so I'm sort of familiar with the general layout. Any help that anyone can provide is appreciated.
Regards,
Kevin Davis

Hi.

If you work with 3dsm, the following 2 characters might be interesting for you: Source files for P3D Avatars

two_avatars_source_code.jpg

These two already animated people could be a good start for P3D avatars.

Hi.

If you work with 3dsm, the following 2 characters might be interesting for you: Source files for P3D Avatars

two_avatars_source_code.jpg

These two already animated people could be a good start for P3D avatars.

Hi Christian

I am using 3ds (trial)

I want to create new uniform for the default avatar (blue pants white shirt man)

I have tried to load your model into 3ds 2021 but it wont load. but any way, it doesnt matter

could you tell us what are the main parts of making a new avatar with different clothes?

is it possible to use existing .mdl files? help!

Hi Christian

I am using 3ds (trial)

I want to create new uniform for the default avatar (blue pants white shirt man)

I have tried to load your model into 3ds 2021 but it wont load. but any way, it doesnt matter

could you tell us what are the main parts of making a new avatar with different clothes?

is it possible to use existing .mdl files? help!
Hi.

In my version of 3ds Max 2020.3 (2,0 - 22.3.0.3165) there are no issues with opening the file. Can you briefly tell us which error messages are displayed?

If the avatar is to be for MSFS, then the 3-D model must be in MSFS glTF format. As far as I can tell, MSFS doesn't support MDL files.
To give the avatar "new clothes" (another repaint), it is sufficient to open the attached Photoshop file and edit the corresponding layer:

Creating such characters is not easy to learn, there are several disciplines that have to be brought together. It would go beyond the scope of this forum if you wanted to go into the details :)

Hi.

In my version of 3ds Max 2020.3 (2,0 - 22.3.0.3165) there are no issues with opening the file. Can you briefly tell us which error messages are displayed?

View attachment 69364

If the avatar is to be for MSFS, then the 3-D model must be in MSFS glTF format. As far as I can tell, MSFS doesn't support MDL files.
To give the avatar "new clothes" (another repaint), it is sufficient to open the attached Photoshop file and edit the corresponding layer:

View attachment 69365

Creating such characters is not easy to learn, there are several disciplines that have to be brought together. It would go beyond the scope of this forum if you wanted to go into the details :)
Thanks so much for the reply

Its for P3D... and im trying to put my company's pilot uniform on the model (wings and pilot hat etc etc) and texture it with company colors

here is a picture of the faults im getting in 2021

i cant really make out whats whats coz theres so many issues, but in essence the model is struggling to link all the files together. please refer images.

so just to clarify - if i wanted to say, put a pilot hat on bluepants and white shirt man, it would be extremely hard to do for a beginner?

Attachments

• cdvgfsx.jpg
    cdvgfsx.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 100
  • hfghf.jpg
    hfghf.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 94
  • hQSRQ8R.png
    hQSRQ8R.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • sas.jpg
    sas.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 101
  • sdetfg.jpg
    sdetfg.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 99
The first message is just an indication that the Max file was saved in an earlier Max version. It is sufficient to confirm the message by clicking OK. The message never comes back after saving.

The 2nd message can be ignored, then please close the window. It's not an error message.
The Gamma & LUT settings can be applied by clicking OK. This is also not an error message.
The "Missing DLL's" message indicates a wrong SDK. The source files of the avatars were prepared with the P3D v4 SDK.

Which version of the P3D SDK are you using?

Prepar3D v4 SDK 4.5.14.34698. I have just downloaded v3 SDK and tried to read the stuff on BIPEDS etc but the link is dead... sigh

i havent actually tried them in the sim... im sure they'd work.

the above is what i get when opening in 3ds. you can see im left with a black model, as you can see in one of those pics, even when i do push through all the barriers

i was just trying to, for lack of better wording 'reverse engineer', everything, to learn how to model my own avatar

i mean, the SDK is helpful in this regard, im just wanting to do my model (for personal use) with as much reference material as possible

Last edited:
Modeling your own avatar from scratch can be very nerve-wracking for a beginner. I had to make many attempts to get anywhere near a presentable result. After I had modeled myself, friends, relatives, and acquaintances came along.

It was pure pleasure to give the now "digital girlfriend copy" funny animations - the little sport-loving girlfriend was suddenly able to do 100 "virtual" push-ups on the side. She jumped rope, suddenly could dance tango etc. :)

Today everything is much easier and, above all, much faster. You know these 3-D miniatures, i.e. those 10cm high figures that come from a 3-D printer? The studios that offer this have the hardware and software to create a digital image of everyone. The resulting 3-D model of your person does not cost that much, I think. Here in the region there is a Company called 3D Generation. They even offer the 3D scan service free of charge, you only have to pay for the 3-D printing of your person. Another option might be a men's outfitter. Some of these companies also work with a body scanner :)

thanks Christian.
3d scanning of myself, though extremely fun and exciting, probably isnt what i want to be spending my money on lol

i would be happy to buy a pre-made Biped and manipulate the mesh and skin/textures to suit what i want the pilot to look like

the thing is im not sure if thats even possible? and even if it is, im fairly confident they would be so high fidelity that the polygon and bone count would probably need significant reducing/cleaning.

i am just trying to create my own avatar/pilot, like yours that does the walkaround on the lufthansa dc3. thats so cool and thats what im trying to achieve with my avatar, if its doable.

i have been reading this thread, and many many others and they have been extremely helpful! thank you so much for your help of both me, and everyone else

Back