• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Can one 'switch out' Autogen objects?

Messages
10,163
Country
us-arizona
Hey all,

Lets say I wish to switch out a house model that is an Autogen for one that I have created.

Is this possible? Or are Autogen objects written in stone, unable to be changed, improved, etc.

This is for FSX / P3D.



Bill
 
Just have to place your object above the autogen building and this kindly will desapear. (just have to touch the building) when I wanted make desapear some misplaced autogen building I uses little trees or shrub even.
 
Hi Bill,

The answer above helps to replace one instance with your own building. Or do you want to change all instances with your new object?
 
Hi Bill,

The answer above helps to replace one instance with your own building. Or do you want to change all instances with your new object?


Hey Arno,

Complete replacement on all of 'that' object.


Like lets say, there is an autogen regular object, called simple house 44 or something that Autogen uses in North Amerca in FSX / P3D. Can I change it so that ALL of that 'simple house 44' objects will now be a new shape/object.


I wish to experiment with Autogen and make changes to houses and some buildings.



Bill
 
Hi Bill,

You are then entering the quagmire of altering core files.

If it's just for your own use, and the object in question is itself a mdl (not a procedural building) then it would be a matter of seeking it out and perhaps altering the library, using the same GUID.

Altering autogen core files for distribution though is fraught with problems.

As an example, I think you owe it to customers that any system you employ backs up and saves their files ... and if they have other add-ons that do the same ... well, you start to get the picture!

Messy.
 
Ahhh so... Thanks for the heads up.


I would still like to try it. I'll have to track down a house BGL (where ever they live) and see about altering it.

I was looking through the system trying to find them. I didnt quite realise the massive bulk of the files in scenery. My goodness man!
 
You know what could be cool is to find a way to write a programming string that says 'place this GUID thing at all of the locations that 'that' GUID thing is at'. Then you wouldnt be messing with core data, and could remove said 'this for that' program pack from the sim and its all back to normal.
 
I see I can hand edit the main XML file of scenery which has all the names and GUID sets for the scenery parts.

But... If the various SPB's have separate call signs for GUID's, then I am out of luck, as the GUID's need to be changed in all of the scenery SPB files, correct? Or does the SPB's have only the names of the scenery and not the GUID's?
 
Hi Bill,

Are you sure it is not a procedural building you are looking at? Many of the autogen buidlings are generated by the engine and not from library objects.
 
Give us the exact lat-long of an example object, and a screenshot, and then we can see what you wish to change, and how to do it.

Dick
 
Arno, I think you are right. From what I was reading last night, the buildings are auto-generated from nothing, no base models. They are like extrusions with roofs on them.

I thought I could make the houses in FS look like the ones in X-Plane 10.



Bill
 
Back
Top