• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX:SE Course Deviation Disconnect Pause

Country
us-texas
Thanks to Milton and Rob and their wonderful wind-powered HMS Bounty tall sailing ship I am able to enjoy my mariner-ish interest. Thanks also to Bitzer and Beaumont as well as Kronzky and the Bubble Sextant I am able to navigate the FSX seas. Actually, the Bubble Sextant was created to use for aviation but serves just as well as a marine sextant. Accolades aside, the Bounty does have "Otto" (my nickname for an automatic helmsman). "he" can hold a heading, but if the winds change suddenly or die (I use real weather) and the ground speed goes below 3(?) knots Otto will give up. Now if the winds pick back up there is no one at the helm and the ship heads off to who-knows-where. This is not too bad if I am awake, but when I need to sleep I need Otto to man the helm until I awake.

So...

I need a gauge that will lower the sails or at least PAUSE the sim if the heading deviates from a user-defined course, probably +/- 5 degrees off the set HDG. Can this be done with FSX gauge programming? I am not that good with it, but I don't mind homework. What do you think?

Country
us-wisconsin
Calvin,

Here is something that should work for you, successfully tested multiple times here.
It does come with a caveat though, Rob B. has brilliantly programmed quite a bit of logical automation in this ship so trying to "shoehorn" additional automation into the system may have some logical "holes" in it.

To install:
1) Because of copyright you need to modify this gauge. I cannot provide it for you.
In panel\rcb-gauges\CourseHold.xml replace the <Click> section with the following -
XML:
    <Click Repeat="No">
      0 (&gt;L:HH_TICKS,enum)
      <!-- (L:HeadingHold,bool) ! (&gt;L:HeadingHold,bool) -->
        (L:HeadingHold,bool) if{
            0 (&gt;L:HeadingHold,bool) 0 (&gt;L:Auto_Stow_Armed, bool)
        } els{
            1 (&gt;L:HeadingHold,bool)
            (L:HeadingHold,bool) (A:VELOCITY BODY Z,knots) 2 &gt;= &amp;&amp; if{
                1 (&gt;L:Auto_Stow_Armed, bool)
            }                    
        }        
    </Click>

2) Install the following gauge in the [Vcockpit01] section -
XML:
<Gauge Name="Bounty_Auto_Sail_Stow" Version="1.0">

<Comment>
        For Milton Shupes HMS Bounty V2.0! (no other versions looked at)
        The panel.CFG is unaltered.

The following gauge must be active with the mod provided in the forum post.
        [Window00] --> gauge04=rcb-gauges!CourseHold, 294,246,11,27
        The active course hold gauge uses TRUE heading while the commented out heading gauge uses MAGNETIC heading.

For possible future use, is paused? --> (L:SimRunning,bool)
    </Comment>

<Update Frequency="1">      

<!-- DISARM ROUTINE IF AUTO SKIPPER IS LOGICALLY TURNED OFF -->
        (L:AutoSkipper,bool) ! (L:HeadingHold,bool) ! (L:Auto_Stow_Armed) and and if{ 0 (>L:Auto_Stow_Armed, bool) }

<!-- AUTO SAIL STOWING IS ARMED AND AUTO SKIPPER IS STILL ON -->
        (L:Auto_Stow_Armed, bool) (L:AutoSkipper,bool) and
        <!-- CURRENT HEADING IS OUTSIDE EITHER 5+ OR 5- DEGREES OF COMMANDED HEADING -->
        (A:PLANE HEADING DEGREES TRUE, degrees) (L:HeadingHoldVar,degrees) 5 - dnor &gt;
        (A:PLANE HEADING DEGREES TRUE, degrees) (L:HeadingHoldVar,degrees) 5 + dnor &lt; and ! and
        if{
            <!-- TURN OFF AUTO SKIPPER, MUST TURN OFF AUTO SKIPPER IN ORDER TO STOW SAILS  -->
            0 (>L:AutoSkipper,bool)
            <!-- STOW SAILS -->
            0 (&gt;L:sail_ftg_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:sail_tg_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:sail_mztg_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:sail_fts_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:sail_mzts_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:sail_ts_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:jibs_fly_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:jibs_out_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:jibs_in_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:spanker_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:staysail_mn_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:staysail_mz_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:sail_fs_sw,bool)
            0 (&gt;L:sail_mn_sw,bool)
        }

</Update>

</Gauge>

Hope this works for you, stay awake!

Last edited:
Country
us-texas
Thank you. I will give it a shot. Actually, I was not really wanting to infringe on Rob B's brilliant work. I was just wanting to add an adjunct function which I thought might be an exterior function.

FYI - A skipper has to get some sleep even if the probability of being awake at any of the twenty-four hours is uniform. :)