• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Distance to Ref point

Country
us-florida
Hello everyone,
I am trying to have my hangers and terminal buildings show up when
I approach the airport, but with no luck.
I would like to know when using MDL Tweak should I use the hex or dec for the distance. And what values to use, example
0-500 for min-max. Also are those values in meters or feet.
Thanks
MikeH.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Mike,

I would use decimal and as far as I know they are in meters. But I am not 100% sure of that.

Country
us-florida
Well tried it and FS crashed. I am using a simple box for the test at KSEA.
This is what MDL Tweaker looks like before click the apply button.
Any suggestions?
Mike.......

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Mike,

That looks OK from here. When you say FS crashes, where do you get that crash? During the loading or somewhere else?

Country
us-florida
Hi,Arno
It crashes when the load bar reaches the "adjusting scenery objects".
Mike

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Humm, strange. Can you send me your object? Then I can have a look at it here. All that you describe sounds correct, so it should work :).

Country
norway
Maybe this?

Hi Arno, Mike,

I also got this problem. But then I got into the habit of checking the "decimal" box before doing anything else, and I got rid of the overflow error - I thought it might be MDL Tweaker seeing my 10.000m view distance value as hex. Just a wild guess.

Arno,

Thx a lot for MDL Tweaker. I make a lot of huge suspension bridges, and they all needed a view distance, and now I can do that easily. :wave:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Andrew,

If you enter that big values while keeping it at hex I guess that is the problem :). As a hex value of 10000 corresponds with 65536 meters, while the maximum value allowed is 32767 meters. So FS will indeed crash on that.

While on the subject of Distance to RefPoint....

Can you apply the Distance to RefPoint tweak to an LOD mdl file?

Thanx in advance.

Sean E.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi Sean,

Yes, MDL Tweaker should work fine on a MDL file that contains LODs, BUT the distance condition will apply to all LOD levels and not to just one (for the new MDL Tweaker II this will probably be changed).

Thanx Arno.

This plays well into my design thinking.
As long as you have the Distant to Ref set to beyond the last LOD, then it will do fine.

Thanx again.

Sean E.