• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FS2004 MakeMDL problem

Strange things happened to makemdl program
I was getting ready to try to make an mdl file from an x file. The x file was created by FSDS V3.0. I have done this a hundred times before.

The problem is that the browse button on the RH side has totally disappeared
from the input and output file selection.

I tried manually to put in the x file and the mdl file and press the start button but nothing happened.

I went back into the FS2004 SDK and tried it there and the same thing happened.

Tom J

Farfy

Resource contributor
Hi Tom
That is strange for sure.

I do Not know for sure but..
I am thinking that there is some other file that MakeMDL needs that has gone missing, did you do any windows updates lately. If so perhaps try doing a restore to an earlier date.

H_Farfy:D

I am not sure about windows updates but I have been having lots of problems with IE. I have installed the Fire Fox browser and it seems to be working very well. Yesterday is the first time I have tried to use makemdl since installing the Fire Fox browser.

I just wonder if this problem could be related to font size.

Tom

Farfy

Resource contributor
Hi Tom.
I have used Fire Fox for a long time and had no problems with it BUT if that is the only thing you have added to your PC lately then I would think it is what has caused the problem.

First if you are only having a font size problem try holding the “Ctrl” key and rolling the mouse wheel, this will increase or decrease font size.

If this doesn’t fix it I think I would try running restore to an earlier date to see if it is indeed the new install of fire fox.

Last edited:
Farfy I undid the last restoration and the browse buttons on makemdl are there once again. I haven't tried to see if it works but I'm sure it will.

About a week ago I had to replace my All-In-One printer. It was an HP and I replaced it with an Epson All-in-one. When I undid the last restoration it wiped out the Epson printer software so the Epson software may have caused the problem to begin with. I am going to reinstall the Epson software and see what happens.

Tom

Farfy

Resource contributor
Hummm…I wonder when the Epson software updated it may have deleted a driver or something that MakeMDL needs.
When you re-install the all in one stuff, if you get the option to leave the old software there click yes.

I reinstalled the printer software and makemdl was not effected. I have verified that makmdl is working fine.

When I reinstalled the printer software there was a option that had something to do with the folder icons. This time I did not select that option. This may have been the problem but I'm just not sure. Anyway when i did the undo the last restoration if the problem was there it is now gone.

I think the Fire Fox browser is much faster on my computer than IE.

Tom

Farfy

Resource contributor
Hi Tom
Glad you got it sorted out…. and yes Fire fox does seem to run faster and smoother

Talk to you later..H_Farfy:D