• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

P3D v4 Maximum polygon limit

euroastar350

Resource contributor
Country
us-delaware
Hi guys,

Just a curious question, what is the maximum polygon limit can P3DV4 handle? I've read somewhere (here maybe) that the compiler is able to spit out models with a polygon count in excess of 500,000+, but can the platform handle more without it bringing down framerates? Of course I do have one helicopter project that has in excess of 1.3 million polygons, but I don't want to throw that into platform if it's going to hurt performance. Of course, I have been dumbing down lots of parts, but the poly count is still too high to attempt an export. Any thoughts?

Country
greece
From my personal experience, models of that magnitude pose no problems to the FSX and P3D engine.

The actual problem lies in draw calls which need to be carefully balanced.

Two examples are our Phantom, weighing 600k polygons and the upcoming Nimitz sitting at 1.2 million.

The Nimitz performs much better than the Phantom, the reason being draw calls where there is a huge difference (90 vs 600). Similarly, the F-14A Tomcat seems to be in the 400k triangle range (not 100% sure), but at 900+ calls the Phantom and most other planes outperform it.

Bottom line:
+polygons don't seem to make a difference
+watch the draw calls
+watch the textures. It is easy to take 1GB of texture memory but hard to get rid of

Country
us-arizona
Gauges poorly made that use high amounts of memory are bad. Tons of giant textures (4096) are bad. Several are ok, like 3 or 4. But 20? Bad. Then you also need to use 256bit Bitmaps on gauge textures in XML gauges.

But performance in poly counts, I havent bumped into that. Seems they do pretty well from what I find. I have had 'one' complaint from one customer that his computer could barely run one of my planes and he blamed it on the mesh.

Have you tested it yet in the sim? I would like to know how it does. Try it, give it a test.

I think I remember someone saying they had a plane with just under one million. Like 950K, if I remember correctly.

Great times to be in with such numbers of polygons available. I remember the FS2004 days... 64K and thats for both the interior and exterior models, lololol... Thank you Lord!!!

=rk=

Resource contributor
Country
us-washington
Polygon saturation is most apparent at a large airport with active AI and until you've tested a model in that environment, you won't know. Alex can confidently say his model is likely to not visit a commercial airport, granted, it is likely to be placed into scenarios with multiple AI vehicles and other players. In an online session, the computer must render all the 600k Phantoms, this is why some FSX developers included multiplayer versions.