• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSXA Mission compass and aircraft failure problems

Country
australia
Hello all,

Sorry if somebody else has posted about these problems before, but I have two problems with a mission I'm creating.

Problem One
I wish to have a Point of Interest at the arrival airport (EGLL), however, I have added one using the OPT, but no mission compass displays (despite having selected the compass and pointer to display in the Settings>General menu). The compass and pointer display perfectly well in the missions that come with FSX: Acceleration by default.

Problem Two
I wish to have an engine fire and NAV1/NAV2 radio failure as the aircraft passes a specific point (a VOR in the flight plan).

I have the following linked: RectangleArea > ProximityTrigger > ObjectActivationAction > FailureAction. However, the engine fire doesn't activate as the aircraft passes through the RectangleArea.

I have attached my XML to this post so you can see what I've done (or rather, what I haven't done). The mission is incomplete in other areas, so other parts of the mission may not link together. It's just the problems above that I need help with at the moment.

I have received help from a friend (‘ollyau’ on this forum), but we haven’t found a solution so far.

Thanks in advance,

Adam Johnson.

Attachments

• TheLuckoftheIrish.xml
    7.6 KB · Views: 537

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
Try RectangleArea > ProximityTrigger > FailureAction like I suggested as you wrote the post :p.

And are you sure you're going through the RectangleArea :p?

Last edited:

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
If the pointer doesn't show the mission most probably didn't load correct because of an error. So strip it down to a minimum and test it. If it runs ok add only few items at a time and test the mission. ;)

ad 2: this is indeed wrong. Simply trigger the failure action, not an objectactivationaction.

Country
australia
Thanks for the advice fellas. I took a few days off development to clear my head, and started back today.

@Orion - That's how I have it set-up, but it still won't work.

@Thorston - I stripped it all down to the core essentials, and things started to work better, as I had a better idea of what was going on where. The problem with the compass was I didn't attach it to a RectangleArea. Now that I have, it works fine.

But I'm still having trouble activating the engine failure trigger. I created a RectangleArea, attached a Proximity Trigger to it, and the (engine) FailureAction as a entry action. When testing it, I set the sim speed to x16 (to save time), then set it back to normal about 2-5nm from the start of the RectangleArea, and it won't trigger.

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Whenever you use such an action also use a text message so you know if and when the trigger fires.
Keep in mind that you might have to specify the engine and the percentage of health (normally 0).

Country
australia
That's a good idea - I'll add a DialogAction to see if it works. But I think I know why the failure isn't triggering. As you can also see in the attached screenshot, the RectangleArea, and its accompanying components, have somehow moved to the coast of Western Africa (even though I locked them into position). This has happened the past few times, and probably explains why the failure won't trigger. I want the failure to trigger as the user's aircraft passes the CPT VOR near Heathrow (EGLL).

I also have another strange problem. As you can also see in the screenshot, when I click on an item in All Items, the descriptions don't match the name. In the attached screenshot, DialogAction3 shows the Failure Action 1 description, and vice versa. ScenarioMetadata1 also shows the DialogAction3 description.

Attachments

• Problems.jpg
    Problems.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 574

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Normally this sorts out as soon as you move the cursor up and down. If they're permanently false you got a problem.
I also never experienced an area being shifted like that, but with OPT you never know...

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I don't even see any RectangleAreas in the screenshot you posted :p. I don't see why they'd end up at 0,0 lat/lon, though.

Horst18519

Resource contributor
Country
germany
Good point. :D Don't you press "goto location" if you highlighted action objects, that might not be a good idea! ;)

Country
australia
You guys were right; I think the 'Go To' function was the cause. Everything in the mission itself is working fine now; all triggers are firing, and the compass and pointer are displaying. However, I can't get the JPEG mission incomplete image to display in the FSX missions list. I added the filename in the ScenearioMetadata, but it's not showing.

Country
australia
Yes, you're quite right. I made a typo in my last post. I actually meant BMP but wrote JPEG instead by mistake. The image is in BMP format, but it's 32-bit, and I'm not sure how to convert it to 8-bit.

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
The SDK says that the mission preview images should be a 24 bit bitmap in the 5-6-5 format, but when I tried that for the mission preview completed image, the checkbox I had would get messed up, so I wound up using an 8 bit bitmap for the completed preview image and 24 bit 5-6-5 bitmap for the incomplete preview image :p.

You can convert the image to a 24 bit 5-6-5 bitmap or a 8 bit bitmap using the Imagetool included with the FSX SDK.

By default, the Imagetool will be installed here: \Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Terrain SDK\ImageTool.exe.

P.S. Was this the problem you wanted to ask Steve and I about over Live Messenger :p?

Last edited:
Country
australia
I used the Image Tool to convert the BMP from 32-bit to 24-bit, but there's no 24-bit 565 option.

The format options are: 1-bit, 8-bit, 16-bit (555), 16-bit (565), 16-bit (444), 24-bit, 32-bit, DXT 1, DXT 3, DXT 5, and PTC.

And yes, that's what I wanted to ask you and Steve about. :p

ollyau

Resource contributor
Country
us-california
I used the Image Tool to convert the BMP from 32-bit to 24-bit, but there's no 24-bit 565 option.

The format options are: 1-bit, 8-bit, 16-bit (555), 16-bit (565), 16-bit (444), 24-bit, 32-bit, DXT 1, DXT 3, DXT 5, and PTC.

And yes, that's what I wanted to ask you and Steve about. :p

Must be 16 bit 5-6-5 :p.

I just re-read the SDK and it says "The images should be 380 pixels wide by 232 pixels in height and either 256 color or 5-6-5 format (use the Imagetool utility to convert 24 bit bmp files to 5-6-5 format.).".

Country
spain
You can use any image editor, such as photoshop, corel photo paint, etc. Yo just need to take the image and resample it to the appropiate format.

The best way I've found to get good images for FSX is converting them to 8 bit-optimized.