• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Obtaining GIS Data

Messages
9
Country
unitedstates
Hello,

I am looking to take up an autogen project for photoscenery using large amounts of GIS vector data. Does anyone have any leads on where I can obtain GIS data that includes vector data for homes/buildings, roads/highways, vegetation/trees, and water bodies (and that is not just cached data)? I'm interested in even small areas of coverage to get me started (for California or Utah).

Thanks!

Erik
 
Tejal,

I tried OpenStreetMap, but in the areas I checked I did not see footprints of homes, which is needed to put in to ScenProc to create autogen buildings/homes, right? Or am I mistaken about what's GIS is needed to make autogen homes with Scenproc?

Erik
 
For my área it was very usefull, in those files i got any Kind of data, buildings, powert lines, vegetation. what is the software you are using to see tha data ?, as these maps are free source and created by volunteers could be some regions are not very implemented I had a lot of luck, the first map I got was very poor, indeed, afterwards I get from the same site a very detailed map.
 
For my área it was very usefull, in those files i got any Kind of data, buildings, powert lines, vegetation. what is the software you are using to see tha data ?, as these maps are free source and created by volunteers could be some regions are not very implemented I had a lot of luck, the first map I got was very poor, indeed, afterwards I get from the same site a very detailed map.

I use QGIS. I'll try it, its just that when I zoom in on the OpenStreetMap site, the only buildings I see are a few hospitals, etc. in the Los Angeles area. I'll see what happens when I import the data to QGIS anyway. Thanks again for your reply.

Erik
 
Yes, could be interesting what data can you achive, anyway I take a look to the área and its seem there are very Little buildings footprints. I can remember that there was shp files to download separately and ready to download but were entire country shp files.
 
Yes, could be interesting what data can you achive, anyway I take a look to the área and its seem there are very Little buildings footprints. I can remember that there was shp files to download separately and ready to download but were entire country shp files.

I saw that OpenStreetMaps has a link to archives of large amounts of SHP files. My desktop just broke a couple of days ago. I'm going to have to hold off my project for awhile. Thanks for your help Tejal, when I buy another computer I'll be able to try everything out.

-Erik
 
Back
Top