• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX One Button Flight Save/Reload Facility

Country
unitedkingdom
Saving/Reloading a flight can be an effective solution when running short of VAS in FSX. On my system it can recover as much as 1GB.

I know there are several tools out there to save flights manually or automatically, but you still have to use the FSX UI to do the reload. What I'm looking for is a single key press to save and then reload the current flight at the current point. Kind of like a system reset if you like. Does such an animal exist ?

Thanks

Country
unitedkingdom
I think I've found a workaround which almost achieves what I was looking for. It requires Pete Dowson's FSUIPC, but otherwise just standard FSX.

The key to the workaround is the standard FSX Reset function ( invoked by "Ctrl+;" by default but can be mapped to any key/button). This reloads a FLT file called Previous Flight, which is automatically saved by FSX when you load a new flight.

The Flight Autosave function of FSUIPC allows you to save the current flight status to a filename of your choosing. If you set this name to "Previous Flight", and tell it to keep only one copy, then every time it saves, it will replace the current Previous Flight FLT file, and FSX Reset will happily use it. It will do this even in flight. The flight pauses momentarily, then reloads and carries on.

My FSUIPC Autosave setup is attached below. The "Also Save To A File Called" option is set to autosave every 60 secs, which means on average I will have my flight status saved as of 30 seconds ago. I set the regular Autosave interval to something huge like 6000 since I'm not interested in the main FSUIPC Autosave FLT file.

Now when I'm running out of VAS, I just hit the Reset key. Because the saved Previous Flight FLT is very recent, the pause/reload is quite quick, and the flight carries on automatically. I can then carry on flying from where I was, but now using nearly 1GB less VAS !

It's not quite as seamless and elegant as I would like, but it'll do for now !

EDIT: Reworded to make more sense :)

Attachments

• FSUIPC Setup For In-Flight Reset.jpg
    FSUIPC Setup For In-Flight Reset.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Country
unitedkingdom
I've discovered the workaround above has an added bonus. Now if I should happen to crash somehow (it happens) during the flight or on or after landing, instead of FSX automatically reloading my flight from the beginning, it now reloads the latest autosaved Previous Flight file, which is generally 30 secs or so before whatever I did wrong, so I can recover and continue. Wonderful !