• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Overwriting

Messages
33
I was just wondering, it is possible to overwrite scenery files for houses, ground textures and the like while FSX is open? Usually, it shouldn't be possible and you should get an error saying the files are in use... but doesn't FSX have that inbuilt features whereby you can edit files while FSX is open?
 
From my past experiences, it's a crap-shoot. If you don't get an error stating the file is in use, and you refresh your scenery, you might see the changes. I've never had such success. I've always had to restart FS to see any changes to my scenery.

The only time this sort of thing worked for me was while tweaking aircraft repaints... but FS would eventually crash after a random number of refreshes.
 
I also prefer to restart, since you know for sure then that the new files are used.

I usually make a saved flight of my current location the default, so that I come back where I was testing.
 
Thanks guys. ORBX scenery loads files dependent on regions which you have to switch between depending on what you want to see. I was kinda hoping it could be possible to replace one set with another whilst in flight e.g. oven an ocean or something.
 
You can also clear the tick out of the enabled box for Addon Scenery, click ok and wait for the new scenery database to be built.
Compile your BGL, re-enable Addon Scenery and re-build the database.
Still slow but faster than re-loading FSX completely.
 
Hello:

I'm (almost always) able to over-write open FS files (ex: object BGLs and/or associated textures, placement BGLs etc. with "Unlocker": :idea:

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/


Computer > Windows Explorer > right-click context menu > Send To > Unlocker > click "Unlock All"


MS Windows XP Powertoys "Send To" applet:


http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx



MS Windows Vista or Win7 "Send To" applet customization:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/customize-the-windows-vista-send-to-menu/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...s-secret-items-on-the-windows-7-send-to-menu/


Just ignore Unlocker's phoning home each time to check for updates, and use the main dialog to "Unlock All".


FYI: Only rarely have I had to restart FSX or de-activate an Area in FSX scenery library; usually I can simply over-write the file, go to FS scenery library GUI, click "OK" to force a re-index/file refresh... and I'm returned to a flight in progress with my new content in place. :p


[EDITED]
NOTE: Effects and their mapped textures are an exception, as FS appears to require that these be in the respective default system "\Effects" and "\Effects\Texture" sub-folders when the FS program itself is initially loaded.

[END_EDIT]


PS: I also use the Send To menu for shortcuts to FS SDK utilities such as ImageTool, TMFViewer, or 3rd party apps (ex: XnView) ;)


Hope this helps ! :)

GaryGB
 
Last edited:
Back
Top