• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Peculiar conversion - RESOLVED

GHD

Country
england
Arno,

I have an FS9 (Scasm) file which displays correctly in FSX but not in P3D V4.5.

After converting it to FSX format using modelconverterx_latest_development_release_13 (and converting the textures to .dds), It displays correctly in P3D but not in FSX :yikes:

If you pm me your email address, I will send you a link.

Last edited:

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Hi,

Do you mean the latest release version 1.4?

And which xtomdl version did you use when exporting?

GHD

Country
england
No, the latest development version downloaded on 12th February.

Xtomdl is from the fsx\sdk\environment kit\Modeling sdk\3dsm7\plugins dated 26/09/2007.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
And you exported as FSX mdl? If you can send me the mdl file I can check it. I'll PM my email.

GHD

Country
england
This is the result in FSX:

H074-FSX.jpg

and in P3D (from the same position):

H074-P3D.jpg

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Any textures you forgot to put in the texture folder? Like a missing night texture?

GHD

Country
england
Yes, there are missing _LM textures. Would that make a difference?

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
That can cause missing objects. All textures should be present.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Did removing the missing night textures help already?

GHD

Country
england
No, I didn't try (I have never had problems with missing lm's).

I have another example with no missing lm textures and when converted it exhibits the same symptoms (missing vertical surfaces).

Howeve, the model was extracted from an ADE obj file. I recompiled the ADE files using the converted model and it still didn't work.

But, I recreated the ADE file by loading from the above compiled bgls and when re-compiled, it displayed correctly.

I am totally baffled.

arno

Administrator
Staff member
FSDevConf team
Resource contributor
Country
netherlands
Could it be you have the same object and guid in multiple bgl files? Then you could experience geolocking.

GHD

Country
england
I don't think so. True, it was geo-locked, but I recompiled with the converted model. When that didn't display correctly. I created a new bgl by imported the airport and object files in ADE and it worked.

I also had a case where extracting the model via Bgl2xml rather than MCX fixed the problem.

As I say, I am baffled.

GHD

Country
england
I think you can consider this as being resolved.

The problem was that the FS9 model had been compiled into a bgl using ADE, therebay geolocking it.

Extracting the model from the ADE bgl using MCX then recompiling didn't work in FSX but did in P3D.

Recreating the ADE project by importing the compiled bgls then recoompiling created a non-geolocked set ot files.

These display correctly in both FSX and P3D.