• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Placement precision

Country
us-arizona
FS9 gives location in the upper left hand corner ALT Z in degrees and minutes to 4 decimal places. I find this can leave your aircraft object placement off considerably. If you add this line under the [MAIN] header in the cfg file it will read out in degrees, minutes, and seconds to four places. Much more precise. DISPLAY_FRACTIONAL_MINUTES = 0.

Attachments

• screenshot934.jpg
    screenshot934.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 562
  • screenshot935.jpg
    screenshot935.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 535
Country
canada
Hi, Terry

You are correct, those coordinates shown in the FS2004 in Slew mode are rather crude.

I use what I think is a very simple method to get the position of the aircraft to up to 13 decimals.

I use ExcBuilder to give me the position. ExcBuilder is a "one-pony-show" prorgamme that makes exclusion rectangles, freeware, that takes no space at all, and reads the position of the aircraft in FS2004 and allows you to, then, copy and paste the coordinates somewhere else.

Please note I didn't ask you WHY you need this, as it is none of my business, but pretty much all the tools that locate objects onto FS (by generating a bgl) do the same thing as ExcBuilder.

Please let me know if this helps.

Fern
fernmarques@yahoo.com

Country
us-arizona
Hi Fern,

I like to place my flyable aircraft into the position where I want the object aircraft placed then copy the coordinates into SAAM. But the numbers FS9 gives me can misplace the object by 10+'. With the numbers I get now, showing seconds, everything is fine. Just wanted to pass the info on to anyone else who could make use of it.