• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

    • Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

    Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

    By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

FSX RADItor fails occasionally

n4gix

Resource contributor
Messages
11,674
Country
unitedstates
I was puzzled about where to put this post since there's no specific forum for the program. This is hardly surprising since there's really not much to go wrong with it, right? :laughing:

Unfortunately, I have run across an instance where it fails with an "OOM" error, but only some of the time. I am working on a complex KingAir 350i model. When I export, the radius is being set to 27 meters and I have to use RADItor.exe to reset the radius to 7 meters.

Every so often though, when I try to "Read" the exterior .mdl file I get a memory exception, which means of course that the radius cannot be reset.

Just for complete information, the compiled .mdl file is 32,641 KB.
 
Do you leave RadItor open in between exports?
I've found that this makes it more prone to crash.

Other than that, the sheer size of the model file might have something to do with it. *Ahem*
 
I've tried on two different computers with the same results. What is especially frustrating is that the same model when exported will load and update just fine.

What is even more frustrating is that there is nothing in the model that should cause the radius to be 'miscalculated' to begin with.
 
Hi,

Hummm, given the way RADItor works I'm surprised you can run out of memory. It just keeps an in memory copy of the MDL file, but that should not take more memory than the mdl itself.

If crashes happen more often when the tool remains open, I would have to check if al memory is cleared correctly.

Does it also happen if you use the command line arguments to set the radius? That would exclude the GUI from being loaded.
 
1. I never knew there was a possibility of command line arguments. I've never seen any documentation that I can recall.

2. What is truly odd however is that I just exported/compiled an even larger version of the mesh using the full interior cabin/cockpit rather than the "lo-res" version...

...and RADItor.exe cheerfully "Read" the model, allowed me to make the requisite changes, and "Write" the file successfully! :eek:

Go figure... :tongue-ti
 
Commandline stuff?

Now that would make some things a lot easier...
 
Humm, can't find my own documentation of the command line arguments either. So I'll have to check the source code to look up how it works.

Most of those OOM errors are coming from the .NET framework and they are not always related to actual memory usage or the size of the model. Makes them quite annoying to bug hunt.
 
Back
Top