• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

Tip topics

We probably should create a kind of SDK?
I started it already, but couldn't continue, due to the problems I posted earlier this week in the MCX forum. And, I'm in an exam period;)

But we could think of that.

How do I get my .blend file into the correct format to be compiled into a bgl?

You should export it to DirectX (.X) format in Blender. I'm not sure, I'm in the airplane development, though I think it will work.

For scenery development, like ac, you can export to .X (Direct X) format. You can also use .dae (Collada) or .3ds (Autodesk 3DS). If it is not enabled you will need to activate the option in the USER PREFERENCES under FILE, then select the ADD ONS tab (may not be called addons but would be similar, I havent been in there in a while as I just import settings on new versions). Just locate DIRECT X .x in the IMPORT/EXPORT section and place a check in the box. While there, also do the same for 3DS (.3ds)and Collada (.dae) as those are also usable FS formats, and working from multiple programs to create and edit, having them active already just makes the process faster.

You then use Model Converter to convert the .dae/.3DS/.X to the BGL or MDL format you desire.

Doing so with textures may require selecting some checkboxes in the output menu in the properties viewport or the export save window down the left side (see my Collada Texture Export post)
http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427804

We probably should create a kind of SDK?
I started it already, but couldn't continue, due to the problems I posted earlier this week in the MCX forum. And, I'm in an exam period;)

But we could think of that.

I like the idea. Where is what you have already started? I can help expand it. The only thing we would need to cover is getting it from Blender to FS. As for blender itself, there are already many many many many tutorials available, but we could put a pretty extensive set of documents together.

Yeah, in fact we need a clear workflow description.

I started with Blender and MCX setup (you know, Metric, Framename Parse).
Then I showed a model I created, with random object naming.
Then I emphasize that we need to change the names to ensure the VTs and MRs are automatically parsed.

Animation: linear interpolation. Further, normal keyframing as you would do with Gmax. Put the animation slider at key50, because that is for control surfaces neutral and will be exported by .X as neutral. (Otherwise, for example, the rudder will move from 0 to 90 deg, instead of -30 to 0 to 30 deg).

And there I stopped, because I encountered some errors.

Hi,

If you want you can put such tips on the wiki here at fsdeveloper as well. Just create a new page for specific subjects. And we can add a blender category to make it easier to find things.

Yeah, in fact we need a clear workflow description.

I started with Blender and MCX setup (you know, Metric, Framename Parse).
Then I showed a model I created, with random object naming.
Then I emphasize that we need to change the names to ensure the VTs and MRs are automatically parsed.

Animation: linear interpolation. Further, normal keyframing as you would do with Gmax. Put the animation slider at key50, because that is for control surfaces neutral and will be exported by .X as neutral. (Otherwise, for example, the rudder will move from 0 to 90 deg, instead of -30 to 0 to 30 deg).

And there I stopped, because I encountered some errors.

What were some of the errors?

Also, for the 0-90 issue just change local axis to 45 center, wouldn't that work? I havent done aircraft so not as familiar with the whole process.

Hi,

If you want you can put such tips on the wiki here at fsdeveloper as well. Just create a new page for specific subjects. And we can add a blender category to make it easier to find things.

Ill make a basic intro to using blender (settings preferred, etc) then refer to mcx or similar tools for getting it into fsx. I am working on a texture mapping export issue right now.

Back