• Which the release of FS2020 we see an explosition of activity on the forun and of course we are very happy to see this. But having all questions about FS2020 in one forum becomes a bit messy. So therefore we would like to ask you all to use the following guidelines when posting your questions:

• Tag FS2020 specific questions with the MSFS2020 tag.
    • Questions about making 3D assets can be posted in the 3D asset design forum. Either post them in the subforum of the modelling tool you use or in the general forum if they are general.
    • Questions about aircraft design can be posted in the Aircraft design forum
    • Questions about airport design can be posted in the FS2020 airport design forum. Once airport development tools have been updated for FS2020 you can post tool speciifc questions in the subforums of those tools as well of course.
    • Questions about terrain design can be posted in the FS2020 terrain design forum.
    • Questions about SimConnect can be posted in the SimConnect forum.

Any other question that is not specific to an aspect of development or tool can be posted in the General chat forum.

By following these guidelines we make sure that the forums remain easy to read for everybody and also that the right people can find your post to answer it.

VIlnius Intl (EYVI/VNO)

Country
lithuania
Hello FSDevelopers,

Been lurking here for a while, and decided to drop a few lines asking for some help. :)
I'm currently working on Vilnius International Airport scenery (it's my home airport), and unfortunately have almost no experience in scenery making. At the moment, I'm modeling everything in 3dsmax. It still needs a lot of work - texturing is not completed yet and a lot of buildings are still missing.

I have some experience in texturing and repainting, also I've successfully imported the Vilnius TV Tower model with day and night textures and managed to export ground polys with FS2004 gamepack, tweaking the asm file, so no problems with these things. Thanks a lot to this forum and all you, guys. I've read and learnt a lot of useful things here. :)

Let's get to the main problems I have:
1. I am aiming to make multilayer ground polys - apron with runway + various markings + dirt and tire skid marks. However, I had plans to also make one background layer with grass texture, but unfortunately we can't make seasonal textures for them (or can we?) so I had to reject it. I've tried the layout tutorial from the ASM tweaking toping in wiki, but with no success. I just keep getting "error A2054: forced error : value not equal to 0 : 524288" in BGLC_9.
2. If I'll be unable to use background texture for the grass, I would like to modify the Exclude polygon, to match the fence. What is the best way to do that?
3. Is there a way to make the AFCAD runway invisible? I need to make it wider, because hold short positions in Vilnius are a bit to far from the runway and that makes the AI Traffic to hold short for the unlimited time.
4. Lighting systems. AFCAD lighting systems gets covered by the ground polygons. Is there a way for the runway and taxiway edge lights to "be on top"? What is more, if runway is widened, edge lights will match it. Is there a way to make separate lights for the custom runway?
5. Will it be easy to compile this whole scenery for FSX in the future?

Here are some renders of current progress in 3dsmax and screenshot of completed Vilnius Tower in FS:

Thanks in advance! :)
Arvydas

P.S. Sorry for my terrible English.. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Arvydas,

1. I am aiming to make multilayer ground polys - apron with runway + various markings + dirt and tire skid marks. However, I had plans to also make one background layer with grass texture, but unfortunately we can't make seasonal textures for them (or can we?) so I had to reject it. I've tried the layout tutorial from the ASM tweaking toping in wiki, but with no success. I just keep getting "error A2054: forced error : value not equal to 0 : 524288" in BGLC_9.

That usually means that the files you are including are to big for the structure now in the Wiki. I should change the article to use a Jump structure that is better suited for big files. I'll try to do that today.

There is also a tweak that allows you to make seasonal ground polygons btw. As long as you use the FS2002 gamepack there are quite some options. How to do the seasons is also on the Wiki.

2. If I'll be unable to use background texture for the grass, I would like to modify the Exclude polygon, to match the fence. What is the best way to do that?

SBuilder is probably the best way to do that (or SBuilderX for FSX). It allows you to draw that kind of polygons with a nice GUI.

3. Is there a way to make the AFCAD runway invisible? I need to make it wider, because hold short positions in Vilnius are a bit to far from the runway and that makes the AI Traffic to hold short for the unlimited time.

Not that I know, but if you are using custom ground polygons they will hide the runway.

4. Lighting systems. AFCAD lighting systems gets covered by the ground polygons. Is there a way for the runway and taxiway edge lights to "be on top"? What is more, if runway is widened, edge lights will match it. Is there a way to make separate lights for the custom runway?

Nope, they will always be covered by your polygons. Most people make custom lighting with GMax or effects. This would also solve your width problem, as you can make it like you want.

5. Will it be easy to compile this whole scenery for FSX in the future?

Scenery objects can be exported with the new FSX gamepack. For ground polygons using the FS2002 gamepack is still the prefered way. So it should not be too hard for you to transfer.

I should change the article to use a Jump structure that is better suited for big files. I'll try to do that today.

I have updated the article now, let me know if that is sufficient to fix your problem.

Hi Arno, thank you for a very helpful reply!
There is also a tweak that allows you to make seasonal ground polygons btw. As long as you use the FS2002 gamepack there are quite some options. How to do the seasons is also on the Wiki.
Thanks, I've found it. It still looks a little bit too complex to me, but I'll try my luck after I'll make seasonal background textures.

Not that I know, but if you are using custom ground polygons they will hide the runway.
I mean, if I'll make the AFCAD runway wider, it will not be hidden by the custom one. But thanks for the tips, I think that background texturing will solve this problem.

I have updated the article now, let me know if that is sufficient to fix your problem.
I've tried that, and now everything works like a charm! Thank you VERY much, Arno!:D

Back